Help understanding the cause of a 5kv explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJosh

Hi,
I'm an electrical station operator. Today, one of my co-workers (let's call him "M") had an incident at an electrical substation and we're trying to figure out the cause of it. The station has two 25MVA open delta transformers that feed a front & rear bus. Each transformer has two 5kV cbs, one for each bus. The station is normally configured with one bank feeding the front bus & the other feeding the rear bus. M had transferred the entire station load to one transformer and opened the cbs to the other transformer. The two buses were now in parallel thru the bank's 5kV cbs. (It should be noted that each bus feeds approximately 8 feeders that are part of our distribution system. Each fdr position is made up of a 5kV CB that is fed from the bus thru disconnects & then goes thru two step voltage regulating transformers on the load side of the CB before it goes thru a pothead out to the field. Sorry - this is getting kind of long. The two regulators are wired open delta with one AB & one BC regulator.)

M then made a huge mistake. He began to open the A phase disconnect on one of the bank cbs. Doing this broke the parallel between the buses and also interrupted approx. 20 MW of load on A phase on one of the buses. When M saw the resulting arc forming (he said it was a ball of fire about 3 feet wide which also set off car alarms next door due to the sound) He slammed closed the disconnect picking up the load. But, this is the weird part. The fdr position right next to him exploded at the CB's A phase load side bushing. It was far enough away from the initial fireball that it didn't get any damage from it. Is it possible that B & C phase back fed thru the regulators to feed the interrupted A phase load on the bus and blew up the bushing by sheer overcurrent? Is it possible? Or do you think it was just ready to go anyhow? I've been in this field for over 30 years and never seen anything like it. I'd love some opinions from people with high voltage experience.
Thanks

Tony S

To carry out a switching procedure you should have a schedule that is verified by another engineer.

Was one in place?
Did he follow the schedule?
Who authorised the procedure?
Did he balance the transformer tap changers (voltage regulators) before closing the bus?

2 x 25MVA sounds a lot for 5KV even for a primary substation.

When you say “we're trying to figure out the cause of it”, who is trying to figure it out? A fault of that magnitude would involve considerable collateral damage. Someone high up will want to know exactly what happened.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your simplification has made it hard to follow.

You say he switched all of the load from one transformer to the other, then he opened the CBs thereby isolating the unloaded transformer from both buses. But you also said the two buses were in parallel, which means they were connected on both ends, but you make no mention of tie breakers.

Sounds like the bus configuration is double bus double breaker on the mains and double bus single breaker on the feeders. 25MVA is almost 3000A at 5kV and you have single phase disconnects that aren't interlocked with the breaker? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
If he reclosed the disconnect while it was still arcing, he didn't "pick up the load"....it was still there, just flowing across the arc. What is the transformer fault protection? Relays & breakers, fuses, reclosers? Were the regulators blocked in place? You normally don't leave regs in "Auto" when in parallel, because they tend to fight each other and cause circulating currents. You didn't have either one bypassed, did you? You said 20MVA of load....is that what you really meant? Did any feeder or tie breakers trip? What blew up? One bushing only (phase to ground or phase to phase)? What finally cleared the fault? Too many variables for us to give you any real explanations. Parallel transformers and regs, open Delta, arcing, etc. can create quite a few "interesting" possibilities.

Tony S

There is something so totally wrong with this scenario that I find it unbelievable.

I’ve been an authorised person for 20 years and a senior authorised person for 5 years. There is no way would I permit such irresponsible actions. Switching of loads as described in the OP wouldn’t be a decision taken lightly and not without the formal approval of another authorised person.
The responsibility for any fatalities, injuries and collateral damage would be on my shoulders.

I’m sorry if Josh’s colleague has been injured but protocols must have been breached.

Status
Not open for further replies.