Help with a CH panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
8249010C-AAFA-4246-8992-23D4FC1A8531.jpeg

Medium sized.

My help came across this today while replacing a branch circuit CB. Wire on to right lug is burnt back towards where it enters the enclosure. Obviously that lug has been replaced once or never was the correct one. My local CH distributor questioned why the buss extensions were on there. He has the lugs that would typically utilize the two screws holding the extensions on.

Anyone familiar enough with this brand to answer that question?

Any idea what those screws should be torqued to? My help failed to ask that question when they picked up the lugs and new wire.

Hopefully the buss itself hasn’t sustained damage. We will know in the morning

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Judging by the color of those screws relative to the rest... the bus is damaged. the amount if heat the a high resistance connection produces is in orders of magnitude greater than arcing.

synchro

Occupation
EE
My local CH distributor questioned why the buss extensions were on there. He has the lugs that would typically utilize the two screws holding the extensions on.

Obviously lugs having 2 screws would keep them from rotating and potentially touching each other. A single screw would allow rotation, as is evident in the picture.
Hopefully they didn't add the extensions because the conductors came up too short after being trimmed because of previous overheating.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Obviously lugs having 2 screws would keep them from rotating and potentially touching each other. A single screw would allow rotation, as is evident in the picture.
Hopefully they didn't add the extensions because the conductors came up too short after being trimmed because of previous overheating.
The two left lugs have the stop built onto the back. The right is odd man out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For some reason that's the way Eaton builds them. Since it has a single mounting hole the stop on the back of the lug keeps it from turning when you torque it down. This is a similar panel that we recently installed.
Eaton Panelboard Laundry Room.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes that's just the way they build them. Here's a 400 amp version with double lugs per phase. Notice the missing screw directly from the factory. :rolleyes:

Eaton 400 amp Panel.jpg

synchro

Occupation
EE
Rob (Infinity),

Nice leaving sharpie marks to indicate if lug terminals have loosened.
I'm impressed with how many pictures of installations you must have. And they must be well organized since you seem to easily pull them up on demand in response to various posts.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob (Infinity),

Nice leaving sharpie marks to indicate if lug terminals have loosened.
I'm impressed with how many pictures of installations you must have. And they must be well organized since you seem to easily pull them up on demand in response to various posts.
Thanks. Torquing and marking the lug is something that is SOP for many of the guys I work with. For me I do it because I'll know if it burns up (has happened to a co-worker) that it wasn't one of mine. :)

Regarding the photo's, I wish that they were organized but they're really not. I tend to stay on a project for several years so I can mentally remember the job and then find the photo's based on when I worked there. Someday I will get down to organizing them.

Yes I do take a lot of photo's, the previous one and this one were for our Eaton rep to show them how good their quality control is. Missing bus screw and one of the two not even in all of the way.
Eaton Factory Loose Bolts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.