Help with electrolysis

John_500

Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
Greetings,

I am a maintenance supervisor of a condo association. We have stainless steel pipes that are corroding from the inside out. This is evident at the clamps or connections. Although this is typically the result of mixed metals, the corrosion seems to be the result of something much worse, hence the need for testing. I am trying to find a company that does electrolysis testing.

Can anyone point me in this direction? Simple Google queries are producing nothing much! Such a company could be located anywhere in the US but Florida would be nice.

Thank you in advance for your input!

MTW

I can’t help with testing firms, but from my experience severe corrosion is usually caused by DC current flowing on the system. But you didn’t give any information on what the system’s use or purpose is. The source of the current can come from many different sources and doesn’t necessarily have to come fron your facility.

If the current is severe, you could be able to find evidence of it with a DC voltmeter and some test probing of your own.

John_500

Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
MTW,

Thank you for taking interest in this question!

In terms of the system's use, these particular pipes are for the building's domestic hot water. I need to take a measurement but the diameter of the pipe is approximately 8 inches. Although it is not too common except in hospitals etc, these pipes are stainless steel pipes. They are at the top of the condominium high-rise and carry the largest amount of water before it is dispersed throughout the building - downward.

How exactly would you suggest I should use my voltmeter to test for current? Also, one person has said that if the boiler is not properly grounded in two places, it could be the source or a source. However, in the current case which exposed so much deterioration, this stainless steel pipe would be approximately 100 feet from the boiler or more.

Let me know what other questions you have and thanks again!

John