Help with EPO situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngcub

Hey guys. So, I'm at another Defense Industry Project here in Southern California. We recently upgraded the customers UPS system with a much larger unit. We also added about 7 new panels and a bunch of server receptacles. My question is with the EPO switch in the UPS room. Truth be told, It's my first and because the current UPS is running and the shut-offs are all tied into to systems (Fire alarm, HVAC, Security) our time to research it has been close to zero.
Now, i've done some research and there is a pull box with a few contactors that all the control wiring runs to and through BUT what I'd like to do is leave everything else alone and just intercept the control wires that currently run to the existing UPS and send them to the new UPS which is requiring a "dry contact latching relay". I've accomplished this by running the previous control wires to an ice cube relay in front of the new UPS. Any thoughts about that are welcome too. But two more things.
First, I also need to send 120 to the contact inside my Main UPS breaker to trip it. Question one: Shouldn't the signal to that relay me momentary?
Second, there are currently (2) EPO switches as well as (1) start/stop push button station in the room. BUT Because the room has been remodeled so much, I believe there should only be 1 EPO switch at the entrance to the room by code. That's Question 2
I'll stop here and wait for some dialogue because I believe I need to do a few things to get right before the 20th. Anyone??

ron

Since it sounds like you are just continuing the same thought process that was used on the original project, is this UPS in the server room? Are you trying to comply with 645.10 to match what is already there?

If so, there is no reason you can't have multiple buttons as long as they are grouped and labeled. Don't mess with the existing wiring. Good chance you will trip something not knowing if they are using normally open or closed relays. Just add another EPO button near the principle exits and activate the shutdown and shunt of your new UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.