Help with Extras.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwsolo

Hello, I'm a newer contractor in SW FL. That being said you'll understand why I ask this....
I am doing a job closing in a lanai turning it into a Florida room (Per NEC). The HO then says she wants 2 switch controlled receps instaid of 1
so I tell her that was not part of the bid and it would be an extra... she says fine how much? I quickly as a rookie contractor say $50. No problem, maybe it should've been more but I'm still learning... I got this job through a GC and was paid 40% upon acceptance of my bid by the GC and will be paid 40% after rough and the remaining 20% after trim out... How do I go about incorporating the extra, as small as it may be? Do I have to go through the GC or does the HO just cut me a check for the Extra?
Thanks in advance for your replies to the new kid on the block.

[ July 24, 2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: cwsolo ]

growler

Re: Help with Extras.?

Good, a topic we have all had trouble with. $50 one way or another wont make any difference. but you are right, it's better to learn before it's 5K. First you should state in you contract how change orders are to be handled ( submitted to and signed by the GC), then you should state how the change order is to be paid ( the sooner the better ). This is very common, you are subbing from a GC and the homeowner wants to make changes. With no documentation, at the end of the job they either want to act as if it's a friendly jesture( on your part ) or only pay for part of the change orders. Have everything signed as you go and collect as soon as possible ( with next draw ). If you are dealing with a professional GC you submit a change order for $50 and he charges the homeowner $75 or $100. Everyone is happy except for the one paying and they get over it. Remember that on some jobs the change orders will add up to real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.