Help with install?

dmalkokian

Occupation
Electrical
Splicing in wire gutter?
So need help here. Doing a panel changeout next week and want to know your guy's opinions. I was thinking of putting a wire gutter above the panel and splice the existing wire with the new wire. But my boss said to just use the existing wire.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Splicing in wire gutter?
So need help here. Doing a panel changeout next week and want to know your guy's opinions. I was thinking of putting a wire gutter above the panel and splice the existing wire with the new wire. But my boss said to just use the existing wire.
He’s the boss and paying the tab.
Set your panels and use existing flexes and MC’s as long as conducors are long enough.
Make or have provisions to splice conductors that will be too short.
Did boss look at job before bidding or accepting?
Did I miss something? Gutter might be cleaner but many bosses don’t care about cosmetics over bottom line.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Ty if I would have put gutter are there any codes for splicing wires if they are short?
If you use a gutter, most likely you will have only one or two nipples going between the gutter and a new panel. In that case, you would have multiple neutral wires going through the nipple, and you would have to identify the neutral and the corresponding hot wire(s) it matches.

The wires can be bundled or numbered, as long as you make it obvious which neutrals and hots go together

NEC 200.4(B)