Help with New Construction Question Please - Foundation Entry

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

For context, all the way back to my apprenticeship, I have never done New Construction I've done residential, commercial, industrial, even shipbuilding, but not that. So, construction on MY garage started yesterday. Below is from the plans for the wall section. Would you please confirm the following or tell me I'm clueless. I believe it should happen this way:

1) Footers get poured.
2) CMU walls get built (due the the height, the lower wall sections are CMU before going to lumber vs. lumber starting at grade.
3) At this point, I would think I drill hole for the conduit as shown below thru the CMU and mount the panel on the CMU wall.
4) Install CEE before slab gets poured.
5) Slab gets poured.

Also, was leaning towards GRC for the conduit (switch to PVC once outside the perimeter. Was thinking this since the panel is in one of the vehicle bays. Drawing shows recessed, but obviously surface mount due to the CMU construction (the CMU was a late change due to the height).

Thoughts? Recommendations? Tips?

As always, very grateful. Been waiting for this building for 12 years (long story). So excited.

Mark

Attachments

• Garage Conduit.png
    Garage Conduit.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Garage Conduit -1.png
    Garage Conduit -1.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 27

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
#4 needs to be inside #1, not in the slab.
Thanks Larry. I knew that from the Code rules. Duh. I just got back from a very long exhausting trip and found the silt fence installed. I need some sleep, but thanks much for the reminder.

But it does raise the question. Will the masons just run it up the cavities of the CMU then or should I run it outside of their work are and just run it up the surface of the CMU after they finish. If anyone had a photo of this, it would sure help.

Thanks again,

Mark

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You should discuss this with the masons. I'm sure they have done this before.

They're probably wondering why you haven't already asked them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming the vertical rebar show in the CMUs is tied to the rebar in the footing, you can just connect to that inside the CMU and stub the 4 AWG copper out to your panel at the panel elevation.

cadpoint

I don't get why you'd sinking the work at all other than saving wall space on the garage wall.
You can always use deeper framing member for you panel.
Your second drawing it lacking, based on the drawings your run is down two different footers,
not just what I'll assume is the garage door and respective cross section.
So back to deeper framing your panel will be coming up against CMU /Framing.
A few 2x6's or 2x8''s