HELP!! with swimming pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly

This is an in-ground swimming pool. The pool panel with integral load center within, is being fed from an adjacent sub-panel, with a 2p, 30a, 220v breeaker. The contractor is not using the integral load center at all, instead he is taking the #10 from the 2p, 30a breaker and jumping the 3 motor contactors line side. I believe this is being done to avoid the
gfci breaker requirement in 2008 NEC requiring GFCI breakers on 15 & 20a breakers. So in all, everything is being fed with 1 2p, 30 breaker. What is wrong with this picture?

benaround

Sounds like he is not using the equipment that the pool manafacturer has supplied.

And what about the rest of the pool wiring, ie. bonding etc.?

bkelly

680.22(B) states that GFCI applies only protection on 15a and 20a, and they are using 1, 2p 30a breaker to feed 3 motors

pfalcon

Browse through 430.53 to determine whether they qualify to be on a single branch circuit. It is not likely to be the case.

430.53(A) All motors < 1 hp
430.53(B) OCPD & GFCI rated for the smallest motor.
430.53(C) As a factory listed assembly.

and all the above require

430.53(D) which includes GFCI protection as a group.

cpal

This is an in-ground swimming pool. The pool panel with integral load center within, is being fed from an adjacent sub-panel, with a 2p, 30a, 220v breeaker. The contractor is not using the integral load center at all, instead he is taking the #10 from the 2p, 30a breaker and jumping the 3 motor contactors line side. I believe this is being done to avoid the
gfci breaker requirement in 2008 NEC requiring GFCI breakers on 15 & 20a breakers. So in all, everything is being fed with 1 2p, 30 breaker. What is wrong with this picture?

I'm not sure what is ment by the tertm "adjacent" but I do not believe that 680.25 allows a feeder supplying a pool panel to originate at anything other than the service equipment??

shockare

POOL today

POOL today

Ok now you got me thinking about 680.22

Just did a pool today with 10 pumps 2 heaters 1 jet blower and 4 lights 1 heat pump and
2 jandy panels to run the whole mess all located about 100 ft or so from pool
( must be nice to have $$$$)
Here in Pa. We are on the 2005 but the inspectors like to jump between years

Nec 2005:
(5) GFCI Protection All 15- and 20-ampere, single-phase, 125-volt receptacles located
within 6.0 m (20 ft) of the inside walls of a pool shall be protected by a ground-fault
circuit interrupter. Receptacles that supply pool pump motors and that are rated 15 or 20
amperes, 125 volts through 250 volts, single phase, shall be provided with GFCI
protection.
All single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles that supply
swimming pool pump motors are required to have GFCI protection. While this
requirement applied only to installations at other than dwellings in the 1999 Code, the
2002 Code was revised to require GFCI protection of these receptacles for all
swimming pool installations. It should be noted that 680.22(A)(5) applies to these
receptacles regardless of their proximity to the swimming pool and that it applies only
to cord-and-plug-connected pump motors.

NEC 2008: 680 (B)

(B) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors
from branch circuits with short-circuit and ground-fault
protection rated 15 or 20 amperes, 125 volt or 240 volt,
single phase, whether by receptacle or direct connection,
shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection
for personnel.

All pumps and heaters are on 2p 20 amp breaker
Now if i were to hard wire these pumps no gfci is needed? the key being NO receptacles under the 2005 am i good to go?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.