Help with tap rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
Hello,

I have a disconnect located on a roof 35 ft away from the generator, we are tying into spare lugs located on the bus of the generator we are using 350 kcmil for feeders feeding a Ats this was designed on site so we are trying to make sure it’s code compliant

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
The lugs where “ tapped “ at some point prior to my installation. We did not tap them. My disconnnect is exactly 37 feet away after my measurement

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does the generator have any overcurrenrt protective device or just output lugs ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have not determined my answer but I agree with post #4 in that, without an OCP device, you don't literally have a tap per definition.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Taps are undersized in regards to their primary overcurrent protection. Taps are protected only by design of their secondary protection and calculated load. You have not specified the generator size. You only stated you have 350-kcmil conductors. If this is a 5k generator you don't have taps. What is the size of the generator, ATS, and calculated load? What do you mean the lugs were "Tapped".

Ajr188

Occupation
electrician
Taps are undersized in regards to their primary overcurrent protection. Taps are protected only by design of their secondary protection and calculated load. You have not specified the generator size. You only stated you have 350-kcmil conductors. If this is a 5k generator you don't have taps. What is the size of the generator, ATS, and calculated load? What do you mean the lugs were "Tapped".
1500 kw generator, 400 amp disconnect and 260 amp Ats

Status
Not open for further replies.