Helpful Tip for Panel Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here since making sure a cover is on an energized panel is 'safety'.

If you have a panel cover you need to constantly remove and replace, don't use the screws that come with it. Keep the original panel screws in a safe place.

Instead, take some short (3/4" or so) machine screws, nuts and wing nuts.

Panelcover1.jpg

Install the screw and nut as shown here:

Panelcover2.jpg

Then take your panel cover, place it over the screws,

Panelcover3.jpg

and install a wing nut.

Panelcover4.jpg

I use 8-32s for resi and most commercial panels. Large switchgear may need ?-20. No need to pull out a screwdriver or drill-driver... you can do this by hand.

The whole thing will cost less than $5 ($10 for larger panels), but easily save you that much in labor on the first job. When you?re done working in the panel and are ready to button it up for the last time, remove the hardware and drop it in your toolbox for the next job.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think that is UL listed. You must use the screws that came with the panel. :grin:

Just kidding-- I figured someone would seriously shout that out sooner or later.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
On second thought-- how is that legal if it is leaving a gap on the panel cover. The cover would not be fitting tight to the panel. ????

brian john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think that is UL listed. You must use the screws that came with the panel.

I BLOODY WELL KNEW THIS WAS COMING, JUST WAS NOT SURE WHO WOULD POST IT. EVEN IN JEST...

And yes I know my caps lock in on I AM YELLING

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
brian john said:
I BLOODY WELL KNEW THIS WAS COMING, JUST WAS NOT SURE WHO WOULD POST IT. EVEN IN JEST...

And yes I know my caps lock in on I AM YELLING
you scare me when you talk like that. :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
On second thought-- how is that legal if it is leaving a gap on the panel cover. The cover would not be fitting tight to the panel. ????

This is just a temporary covering of the panel. The permanent covering uses the standard provided screws.

When you?re done working in the panel and are ready to button it up for the last time, remove the hardware and drop it in your toolbox for the next job.

480sparky

Pierre C Belarge said:
There goes your 2 cents for this post. ;)

Credit will be issued on next months' statement.

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't think that is UL listed. You must use the screws that came with the panel. :grin:

It is... can't you see the UL mark on the hardware?

I thought about posting the UL concerns and the gap of the cover...thanks Dennis for doing it first.:grin:

Brian I sent over some blood pressure meds.;)

The idea of what can be done is very good and I still think it should be presented to the manufacturers.

Otherwise Dennis has touched on an issue that I believe an inspector would concern himself with.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I don't like it, not one bit! I can't use my electric driver with wingnuts! Bah!

Wait, yes, I can! I have a Gator-grip socket! And they make wingnut sockets, too!

Yes, we're saved! Hallellujah! :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Pierre C Belarge said:
I thought about posting the UL concerns and the gap of the cover...thanks Dennis for doing it first.:grin:

Brian I sent over some blood pressure meds.;)

The idea of what can be done is very good and I still think it should be presented to the manufacturers.

Otherwise Dennis has touched on an issue that I believe an inspector would concern himself with.

I must admit that as I began to read your post I was expecting the response I gave. I was surprised when you gave an Okay. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.