Hi Leg Delta Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phawk48

In a 3 phase panel with a high leg, doesn't the high leg have to be identified? I can't find it in the code book.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
electricalperson said:
i dont have a code book handy but i remember the question was on my test. the color of the high leg of a 120/240 3 phase system has to be orange if im not mistaken

It would depend on how the question was worded.

Roger

realolman

If you have lots of 240 3 and 1 ph loads and not so much 120v loads.

I'll bite... what the heck...:smile:

What "other effective means" besides orange is OK to mark the hi leg?

jrannis

attachment.php
electricalperson said:
i never worked in a system like that..where are they normally located and what are the reasons for a 120/240v 3 phase system? sorry to turn the thread around
Heres how they send open delta to you. For those that missed it.

realolman

No comprendo :confused: I thought we were talking about a delta connected three phase, with one transformer center tapped for 120v? Which has a phase that is about 190 v to neutral?

Don't make it harder for me. I hardly ever know what's going on as it is.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Realoman, Jr's post was a joke.

As far as marking the high leg.

110.15 High-Leg Marking
On a 4-wire, delta-connected system where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded, only the conductor or busbar having the higher phase voltage to ground shall be durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or by other effective means. Such identification shall be placed at each point on the system where a connection is made if the grounded conductor is also present.

Other effective means could be tagging for example.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
roger said:
Realoman, Jr's post was a joke.

As far as marking the high leg.

110.15 High-Leg Marking
On a 4-wire, delta-connected system where the midpoint of one phase winding is grounded, only the conductor or busbar having the higher phase voltage to ground shall be durably and permanently marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or by other effective means. Such identification shall be placed at each point on the system where a connection is made if the grounded conductor is also present.

Other effective means could be tagging for example.

Roger

Roger,

I would agree that other effective means could be orange tape but a tag? Would this really satisfy the code? I would have a problem with a tag being effective. If I were to open a panel an orange conductor or busbar would be highly noticeable, IMO a tag may not be.

iwire

Staff member
I think the other effective means line opens the door to any method at all that the inspector deems effective.

I think some areas use purple as the high leg mark, and other areas move it to phase C instead of B which is what 408.3(E) Exception recognizes

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rob, using the wording there would be nothing prohibiting tagging or labeling the conductor, it is as Bob said, what ever is accepted/approved by the AHJ.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2008 code also requires a label on the outside of the panel stating the phase and voltage of the high leg. 408.3(F).

Status
Not open for further replies.