High Bay Lighting at 480V

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary b

Is it a code violation of 210.6(D) to connect high bay lighting (HID)inside a warehouse using the 480V ballast taps. Can they be connected with cord and plug and also hard wired?

Re: High Bay Lighting at 480V

No it is not a violation of 210.6(D) as you would have 277v phase to ground, and 480v phase to phase. Make sure you follow the requirements of 410.30(C)1,2,and 3 for cord and plug or hardwired installations.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by gary b:
Is it a code violation of 210.6(D) to connect high bay lighting (HID)inside a warehouse using the 480V ballast taps. Can they be connected with cord and plug and also hard wired?
210.6(D) does not apply to a 480 volt fixture.

Here is the first part of it.

210.6(D) 600 Volts Between Conductors. Circuits exceeding 277 volts, nominal, to ground and not exceeding 600 volts, nominal, between conductors shall be permitted to supply the following:
Your 480 circuit does not exceed 277 volts to ground.

For the rest of your questions start at 410.14 which tells us Electric-Discharge Luminaires supported independently of the outlet box may be connected to the branch circuit with flexible cord as permitted in 410.30(B) or (C)

410.30(B) is about luminaires that require adjusting or aiming after installation, that does not describe a high bay so forget that one.

410.30(C) as Don pointed out is the section you want.

410.30(C) Electric-Discharge Luminaires (Fixtures).

(1) A listed luminaire (fixture) or a listed assembly shall be permitted to be cord connected if the following conditions apply:

(1) The luminaire (fixture) is located directly below the outlet box or busway.

(2) The flexible cord meets all the following:

a. Is visible for its entire length outside the luminaire (fixture)

b. Is not subject to strain or physical damage

c. Is terminated in a grounding-type attachment plug cap or busway plug or has a luminaire (fixture) assembly with a strain relief and canopy

(2) Electric-discharge luminaires (lighting fixtures) provided with mogul-base, screw-shell lampholders shall be permitted to be connected to branch circuits of 50 amperes or less by cords complying with 240.5. Receptacles and attachment plugs shall be permitted to be of lower ampere rating than the branch circuit but not less than 125 percent of the luminaire (fixture) full-load current.

(3) Electric-discharge luminaires (lighting fixtures) equipped with a flanged surface inlet shall be permitted to be supplied by cord pendants equipped with cord connectors. Inlets and connectors shall be permitted to be of lower ampere rating than the branch circuit but not less than 125 percent of the luminaire (fixture) load current.
The basic answer is yes you can use cord but you will have to use a cord cap on it.

The plug is a big help at ballast change time.
A place with a lot of highbays should have a few spare fixtures ready to go with cord whips on them.

When a ballast goes you swap the fixture and repair the broken one on a bench.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by ryan_618:
I would say yes, they may be cord and plug, or they may be hardwired.
Ryan I am assuming when you say hardwired you mean with something other than cord?

ryan_618

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by ryan_618:
I would say yes, they may be cord and plug, or they may be hardwired.
Ryan I am assuming when you say hardwired you mean with something other than cord?
Yes, that was my intent. You could hardwire it with cord though, if you had a canopy.

gary b

Is it a code violation of 210.6(D)to connect high bay lighting (HID)inside a warehouse using the 480V ballast taps. Can they be connected with cord and plug and also hard wired?

If this installation were installed on a 3-wire 480V Delta wired system would the voltage to ground be 480V? (I have never seen a480V, 4-wire Delta 3-phase.) This would eliminate all wiring of HID inside a building at 480V on 3-wire delta systems. However a 480/277V wye system would allow fixtures to be installed cord and plug. Is this a correct interpretation?

kiloamp7

For a 480V. 3-ph 3-w delta system, whether ungrounded or corner-grounded, the voltage to ground would have to be considered as 480V.

For the rare 240/480V. delta 3-ph 4-w system, voltage to ground would be 240V. except the high leg would be 416V.

Status
Not open for further replies.