High-bay make up......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to see if anyone has ever hooked up Hi-bay fixtures directly to a J-box using the fixture cord provided by the manufacturer. Have done them where we installed Cord caps and recepticals when they are spec'ed. Usually we will use 3/4 Ridgid nipples into a swivel 4' cover. However these are the heaviest Hi-Bays I have ever seen and I don't trust the Nipple and the #8 4S box screws (the fixtures have solid glass reflectors probably 45 LBs. each no to mention the balaast weight. So i have to install a hook and use the #14-3 cord from the fixture. In this case the Receptacle in the ceiling are not speced and I just wanted to know if there was a code issue of making up directly to a junction box. Have had issues with using SO cord to arial drop to equipment off a gutter, didn't know if it also might apply here because this is a permanent installation.

benaround

Re: High-bay make up......

George,

Without using the book,I say your ok to do as in your plan. The 8-32 screws are good for 75lbs. each,watch your branch circuit conductors as far as 90 degree temp. I've done them both ways without any problems.this is in Az.

frank

Unfortunately no, the only entrance into the ballast compartment is through the hook on the top of the fixture which I might be able to fit the MC through but no way to put a connector on :( .
Either way, the same type fixture cord would be used, My main concern was if I could just connect the SO into the Junction box instead of the cord cap and receptacle. I know there are issues on permenant installation and temporary ones and I belive that using SO cord was the detrmining factor.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

If the manufacture says you can then your are in total compliance with 410.30 (c) This section was expanded in 05 to clairify the use of a listed manufacture wiring system.

JohnE

I don't have my code book with me, but I believe that if fixture is to be connected with cord, it must have twist lock cap and receptacle mounted directly above fixture.

John

paul

I just wired a retail store with high bays two weeks ago and did just that. I cut off the cord cap and hard wired them in. The GC on the job, who travels across the country doing these stores, said that every electrician who wires them up, does the same thing.

As for mounting, I had to install 3/8" eyebolts through the red iron or add strut and eyebolt through that. Then I used the hook that was provided with the fixture.

derf48

The installation you describe is in direct violation of 410.30 (C). An electric discharge luminaire is permitted to be cord connected if the following conditions apply:
1. The fixture is directly below the outlet
2. The cord meets all the following:

derf48

Technology is only great if you know what you are doing. My fat finger must have hit the wrong button and posted my unfinished reply.
2. The cord meets all the following;
a. Is visible for its entire length
b. Is not subject to strain or physical damage
c. Is terminated in a grounding type attachment plug-cap or busway plug, or is a part of a listed assembly incorporating a manufactured wiring system connector in accordance with 604.6(C), or has a fixture assembly with a strain relief and canopy.

In your installation, you do not comply with a or c above. A is obvious, so let me explain c. You do not have a plug-cap connection(receptacle) the fixture is not part of a manufactured system such as a re-lock , and it is not a assembly with a strain relief and canopy.

What you have is a fixture ordered with a cord and you do not want to use it. You only have two choices, put in the plug-cap or order the correct accessories to hard wire it.

Fred

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

Derf if the manufacture says in the instructions that you can cut the end off if need be then he will be in total compliance. I referenced the same art and sec as you.

redfish

or has a fixture assembly with a strain relief and canopy.
If the fixture is attached directly to the purlin with a hook, then it doesn't have a strain on the cable. :)

cselectric

OK, this is the service guy in me talking. But why waste the time and energy cutting the cord end and hard splicing? You gain nothing by doing so, except a cost savings on the TL recepts... but since your labor time is higher doing it your way, how much do you really save? Plus, you may need to service these lights down the line, at that point, you'll be glad that cord and plug is there... it makes swapping out ballasts a whole lot safer and easier.

redfish

I didn't see in the original post where the SO has a plug attached to it.I am under the impression that an attachment plug and receptacle would have to be installed. Is this the case? :)

No the original post stated that all the Maufacturer supplied me with is the cord, not a cord cap. There is however a part number for a cord cap on the fixture cut sheet. I went ahead and had my guys install a cord cap and recepticals. I think its kind of a grey area so I just bucked up and "I think" did it the right way. Thanks for all the input I'll try to look into it when I dont have the GC on my a$$ to finish )

IF I was able to get a MC into the fixture I wouldnt have the issue but the whole where does the manufacturer UL stop and the code pick was my main question.

iwire

Staff member

410.30(C) requires the cord to have a plug on it.

This is not changed by the fixture having a UL listing.

The only way that changes is if the light is part of a manufactured wiring system and is listed as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.