high electric bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

As I stated before, usage is what causes a high electric bill. Along with that the the solution is free, shut things off. Not scrubbers, not power factor correction for residential use, not the untold number of items that guarantee a lower bill for five easy payments of $19.95.

Darn it, I paid 29.95 @ six payments.:rant:

Oh well, at least I got a box of Oxy-Clean with it.:D

kwired

Electron manager
It's possible that a poor connection can cause a severe voltage drop under load, which could cause loads, especially motor loads, to draw excessive current trying to start or stay running under the lower voltage. It will definitely damage equipment if the voltage stays low for very long. Neutral problems will not effect meter accuracy on a normal 120/240 service, since the meter voltage is line to line and the neutral is directly connected to the neutral bus.
And if the connection is loose enough to consume the kind of energy we are talking about here the connection doesn't last for long before it burns out and then we have an open circuit and no energy being used.

wow interesting... I appreciate the detailed response. The 2 situations where with the old spin meters. There is testing equipment that can help determine the problem? The beginning definition of the arch "An electric arc is the form of electric discharge with the highest current density". it goes on to say " at the cathode the current density may be as high as one megaampere per square centimeter" Would that mean that during the arch the meter would register that circuit as pulling a megamp(roughly) for the 1-3 seconds it archs?
Have you looked to see how many square centimeters there is in the cross section of a 14 - 10 AWG conductor? I can tell you it is definitely less than 1. If it is in series with another load (which is the case with poor connections) the current will not exceed the current of that load - I refer you to Kirchoff's current law.

As I stated before, usage is what causes a high electric bill. Along with that the the solution is free, shut things off. Not scrubbers, not power factor correction for residential use, not the untold number of items that guarantee a lower bill for five easy payments of $19.95.

I can't say it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.