"High-Leg" Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Fused disconnects are listed to UL 98 and switchgear is listed to UL 1558. They are to totally different products and nothing in 408 applies to a stand alone fused disconnect switch.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I totally agree 100% however UL standards cannot modify the NEC.

In the UL whitebook its WIAX "Enclosed dead front switches".

I agree they are totally different animals.

A recessed light, a pin and sleeve receptacle, and a duplex receptacle are manufactured under different UL standards
NEC defines them all as 'outlets'.

However when CMP9 changed the definition in 2014 they intended to create a 'generic' catch all term.
Perhaps it was a mistake, too broad I am not on CMP9 I dont know?
I do know it would take about 5 minutes to convince a jury that the NEC definition of switchgear covers anything under UL 98 WIAX "Enclosed dead front switches".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I totally agree 100% however UL standards cannot modify the NEC.

In the UL whitebook its WIAX "Enclosed dead front switches".

I agree they are totally different animals.

A recessed light, a pin and sleeve receptacle, and a duplex receptacle are manufactured under different UL standards

However when CMP9 changed the definition in 2014 they intended to create a 'generic' catch all term.
Perhaps it was a mistake, too broad I am not on CMP9 I dont know?
I do know it would take about 5 minutes to convince a jury that the NEC definition of switchgear covers anything under UL 98 WIAX "Enclosed dead front switches".
I am not saying the the standards modify the NEC, but they clearly tell you that a fused disconnect is not switchgear. We are not going to agree on this. There is no way that any rule in Article 408 applies to a stand alone fused disconnect.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Technically, the J-box or the wall box would be the outlet. The light is utilization equipment, and the receptacles are devices.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There is no way that any rule in Article 408 applies to a stand alone fused disconnect.
On a jobsite we would agree on what switchgear is and what a 'fused disconnect' is.
my point is in the courtroom it would not be up to us lex scripta would prevail.
I remember being surprised by these slight changes to the NEC art 100 in 2014.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I ask you all to consider how is a fused disconnect not
" An assembly completely enclosed on all sides and
top with sheet metal and containing primary power circuit switching,
interrupting devices, or both, with buses and connections."?
That "and" is what would differentiate a stand alone fused switch from one used within switchgear. There are no buses in a stand-alone fused switch assembly. If it said "or", then you would have a point, but that's not what it says. Buses AND connections. No bus, not switchgear.

Status
Not open for further replies.