High Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a peice of equipment that needs 208 single pole B-N with a grounding. and I have been told that it is un-wise to practice such methods. Do any of you have any input on this issue? And if so y would any one in there right mind make equipment that way?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Breakthrough Electric said:
Hello,
I have a peice of equipment that needs 208 single pole B-N with a grounding.
Welcome to the Forum. This is where a link to that piece of equipment would be very helpful.

mivey

What information at the site makes you think it is 208 volts line-neutral?

Looks like 208 volt line-line (wye supply) or 240 volts would be fine.

480sparky

mivey said:

Hello,
I have a peice of equipment that needs 208 single pole B-N with a grounding. and I have been told that it is un-wise to practice such methods. Do any of you have any input on this issue? And if so y would any one in there right mind make equipment that way?

OP sez so.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
mivey said:

I agree, there is nothing on the site indicating a L-N connection.

Roger

mivey

Mr. Bill said:
The spec sheet says it has a NEMA 6-20P plug. That would be why the OP noted a single phase connection. The spec sheet also says it can operate at 220V so he may just want to use a 2-pole breaker across legs A-C if all he has available is a wild leg system.
Why would a 6-20P indicate a line-neutral connection? These are 250 volts plugs.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks guys just talked to dinex and the wiring diagram is wrong it is 2-pole to ground..

What is "2-pole to ground"?

Mr. Bill said:
The spec sheet says it has a NEMA 6-20P plug. That would be why the OP noted a single phase connection. The spec sheet also says it can operate at 220V so he may just want to use a 2-pole breaker across legs A-C if all he has available is a wild leg system.

Mr. Bill, Mivey is correct, a NEMA 6-20 is a 250 v grounding twist lock receptacle.

Roger

Mr. Bill

I only said NEMA 6-20P indicated it was single phase. I didn't say it had to be L-N. And a 250V rating is the maximum. So 200V,208V, 220V or 240V would work. L-L or L-N. I said L-L is prefered.

mivey

Mr. Bill said:
I only said NEMA 6-20P indicated it was single phase. I didn't say it had to be L-N. And a 250V rating is the maximum. So 200V,208V, 220V or 240V would work. L-L or L-N. I said L-L is prefered.
I may have misunderstood what you meant because you referred to the OP. The OP was under the impression that it had to be L-N and was wondering why the manufacturer would make it that way. You were just guilty by association.:smile:

And for Breakthrough Electric, Roger is correct, it is not "2 pole to ground" as the correct term would be "2-pole 3-wire grounding"

Status
Not open for further replies.