Higher watt lamp in luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimingram

I am working in a four year old state of the art private school. I am puzzled that in the exterior recessed luminaires that I'm finding 100 watt metal halide lamps. I needed to pull out the ballast in one of these lumianires and noticed that it was only rated 70 watts. Also, this is not just in one isolated fixture.

I called the local Lightolier rep. to ask how these 100 watt lamps could work on a 70 watt ballast. The rep. called the factory, but that was a futile effort. I've spent the last 25 years on the service truck. I would always match the lamp with the ballast. That's one of the reasons I rarely had a callback. What's especially puzzling is how well these 100 watt lamps work. Typically when I'd find a higher wattage lamp in a lower rated fixture, that lamp was burning dimly. The proper size lamp would burn brighter.

1)How can a 100 watt metal halide lamp work so well with a 70 watt rated metal halide ballast? Multitap ballast 120/277. Ballast operates at 277 volts.
2)Is there any bad consequence for using the higher rated lamp?

yankj

Surprisingly, 100 watt works in 70 watt metal halide. I've also seen incandescent lamps work in 70 watt HPS The problem is that the 100 watt lamp does not last long.

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you. I'm going to have the those 100 watt lamps removed. The ballasts are difficult and expensive to replace.

You got that right.

I went through that myself recently. Building is about 10 years old. Lamps were replaced with improper lamps - some were even halogen lamps instead of MH, which does not work. Now a lot of ballasts are no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.