Home inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Just saw a home inspection and the guy was recommending an electrician in his report. Seems like a conflict of interest to me. What do you think? He is selling him an upgrade

"Observed small, aged service lines to the original main disconnect for the house. Small lines limit the amount of power to
the home. These lines were adequate 50 years a go but a modern home needs at least 150 AMPs of power to power all
appliances. Expect this home ot need 200 AMP power to run the pool, spa, and all major household appliances.
Recommend an electrician evaluate this panel and capacity."

Recommend contacting %^&(%*()&*(&*(

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not only is it unethical to do this in some places it may also be illegal. They should take his advice on the grade but hire someone else.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sounds like the inspector is partial to one particular electrician. Here is NC law:

11 NCAC 08 .1116 CODE OF ETHICS

(a) Licensees shall discharge their duties with fidelity to the public, their clients, and with fairness and impartiality to all.

(b) Opinions expressed by licensees shall only be based on their education, experience, and honest convictions.

(c) A licensee shall not disclose any information about the results of an inspection without the approval of the client for whom the inspection was performed, or the client's designated representative.

(d) No licensee shall accept compensation or any other consideration from more than one interested party for the same service without the consent of all interested parties.

(e) No licensee shall accept or offer commissions or allowances, directly or indirectly, from other parties dealing with the client in connection with work for which the licensee is responsible.

(f) No licensee shall express, within the context of an inspection, an appraisal or opinion of the market value of the inspected property.

(g) Before the execution of a contract to perform a home inspection, a licensee shall disclose to the client any interest in a business that may affect the client. No licensee shall allow his or her interest in any business to affect the quality or results of the inspection work that the licensee may be called upon to perform.

(h) A licensee shall not solicit for repairs of systems or components found defective in the course of a home inspection performed by the licensee or that licensee's company.

(i) Licensees shall not engage in false or misleading advertising or otherwise misrepresent any matters to the public.

(j) Licensees shall not inspect properties under contingent arrangements whereby any compensation or future referrals are dependent on reported findings or on the sale of a property.

Speshulk

To me it depends on who the inspector is working for. If he's an employee of a municipality, then yes, it's an issue. If he's a private home inspector that has no affiliation with a municipality, then I don't see a problem.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
To me it depends on who the inspector is working for. If he's an employee of a municipality, then yes, it's an issue. If he's a private home inspector that has no affiliation with a municipality, then I don't see a problem.

in calif i believe there is a license you must have to sell home improvements.

it's unethical to toss a pitch..... especially when you are the impartial third
party who is supposed to be impartial.

now, if someone specifically ASKED "can you recommend someone?"
it's no different than if someone asked me to recommend a painter....
and i know two excellent ones, and i'd pass their card along......

but coming up, and saying "you have termites, and here is the guy to fix it"
doesn't seem quite kosher if you are being paid for a termite inspection.

one time in 35 years i've been sparking have i had an inspector give me
a referral... it was kinda weird... he called up and said "i've just done an
inspection on a swimming pool, and there is 7 amps flowing thru the
equipment grounding conductor on a 3 hp pump. the homeowner is asking
if i know anyone. ethically, i can't recommend anyone, and i'm not recommending
you, but if you get a call from a homeowner with a pool named ed, that
might be the guy."

turned out that ed was an attorney who wanted to haggle price over the phone
before i'd even seen the problem. i was having a manicure and waxing
that week, so i was busy. :roll:

it'd a been an interesting troubleshoot. the seven amps was flowing
with the two pole breaker feeding the pump *off*.

Status
Not open for further replies.