home-made combination panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

basicbill

Hi all,
This panel was recently taken out of service during an upgrade. It functioned for unknown years in a single family dwelling.

If you look in the upper right hand corner you will see a nice filler......using 2 mason jar lids!

basicbill

I'm pretty sure this is a full 120 / 240 volt configuration..... minus the service grounding conductor.
It is the first of it's kind that I have seen in my experience.
I'm still leaning toward home made.
Notice the bus extensions at the bottom of each line bus. #10 awg ..... no need for another panel!

mdshunk

"sorta" home made. That's how they did them around the 20's. They field assembled them from the parts. Panelboard cabinet, panelboard (asbestos, in your case) and the individual fused cutouts. Those fuseholders with the knife switch built-on are called cutouts, thus why some people call a hinged cover junction box a "cutout cabinet", because they originally were for a cutout or two to be inside. I do see now that yours had a neutral bar.

basicbill

Yes, that is asbestos back board. I'm treating it very carefully.
You may notice an arc burn on the left bus about 2/3 the way down.
It shows up well on the hi-res pics but I had to down-scale to post here.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The main disconnect fuses look like they are replaceable links. The ends of the cylinders unscrew.

I agree with Marc that it looks like a 120 V panel. I'll bet that was the original configuration. Later the neutral bar was added, and the branch circuit neutrals would be moved to the bar. If the original panel had been 240/120, there would have been a third bus bar and third fuse in the disconnect switch. And you would have found the neutral plug fuses replaced with screw-in non-fuseable links.

The extensions of the bus, at the bottom, to additional branch circuit overcurrent protective devices, looks very familiar. I've seen better attempts than yours.

I'm amazed at the 300.20(B) violations for the two safety switches (the 30 & 60 A units).

basicbill

Can you elaborate on the third fuse scenario?
I'm not aware of the need for a third fuse.
One for L1 .....one for L2
Had it been a 120 volt panel, would there not have been just a single fuse?
Just picking nits here.

Also, you are right on about the replaceable links....there were a few spares in the bottom of the panel!

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
basicbill said:
Can you elaborate on the third fuse scenario?
One for L1 .....one for L2
Had it been a 120 volt panel, would there not have been just a single fuse?
http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2056&d=1217384447

Imagine the neutral bus (and white conductors) not being in this panel, and only two wires from the service. 120v between conductors, one of them maybe grounded. This picture actually shows how one could double the power in a service by using two lines (120/240v) instead of a single line (120v) at the same ampacity.

There are a lot of Civil War-era houses in Richmond, and many of them were originally served by a single 30a/120v service, with both lines fused, often retrofits. A single pair of wires ran above the ceilings the length of the house (through a space the width of two floorboards for the downstairs) in knob-and-tube for each floor.

Remember, when electricity was first readily available in homes, the only equipment powered was lightbulbs. The availability of electricity sold appliances. These were one of the first electric items sold for homes:

601209_front200.jpg

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
basicbill said:
Putting fuses in the neutral was done away with in the early 1900s. I believe it is closely related to the expanding uniform practice of bonding the neutral to other conductive systems (water pipe, steel, etc.) and to earth, as the local voltage stabilization problems of AC transmitted over long distance was studied and understood.

The shared, or common, neutral of the standard 240 / 120 Volt single phase AC service, has its origin in DC. This multiwire circuit was, and still is, called an Edison Circuit. Thomas Edison's power distribution scheme required lots of small 240 /120 V generators located no more than a quarter mile from the most distant load. DC transformers were not economic or practical.

Until 1900, it was common for the generators to be supported on beds that were monitored to maintain isolation from earth or other conductive systems. Whether to ground the generator, or not, was a design choice.

The early National Electric Codes were written including rules for ungrounded generator frames.

For an ungrounded generator customer, if a neutral conductor on a branch circuit shorted to ground, and there were other shorts of hots (from the same generator) to ground elsewhere in the system, the greatest current would occur in the neutral, the fuse would clear, and trouble would be indicated, and, presumably, the electrician would be brought in.

From the perspective we have today, it's hard to imagine life in a world where electricity was available only in small areas (think of an urban area 5 or 6 blocks in diameter) and that was on for only part of every 24 hours. And the last big energy shake up that the "old timers" would talk about was when lighting with whale oil gave way to the new fangled petroleum. And now they're pushing this electric "smokeless" light that I can't light whenever I want? ? ?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
What's at the end of the high voltage DC transmission lines on the national power grid? It seems I recall. . .

But I don't actually know. What is that AC / DC / AC conversion done by? Is it incorrect to loosely refer to it as a "transformer"?

Status
Not open for further replies.