Homeline Panel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I need to install a MCB in an existing 200 amp MLO panel. It is a Cat# HOMC40UC.

The panel has a knock out where the MCB would go if it had one. I don't have a regular supplier for Square products to ask. So here goes... Purchasing a new 200 MCB panel is only about $100 at the big box. Is it safe to assume that purchasing this panel, removing the MCB and putting it in the existing panel can be done? Is it safe to assume that buying the MCB at a Square D distributor will cost more than $100?

The local Square D supplier charges me substantially more than my other local distributors so I avoid using them.

peter d

Yes, it's far cheaper to buy a value pack than to buy the individual main breaker. Furthermore, you can save the panel from which you removed the main breaker, add some lugs, and you have a subpanel at your disposal. In fact, I don't buy MLO panels anymore, I buy main breaker ones and remove the breaker and add lugs.

templdl

That's simply thinking outside of the box. One of the OEMs that I had supplied LV metal cloud circuit breakers to need 2 more breakers. Buying 2 breakers separately fell under renewal parts pricing. At my suggestion they were able to purchase an addition structure with the 2 additional breakers that they need for less cost and simply scrapped the enclosure.
My company still made a profit without penalizing my customer.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We buy whole panels just for the breakers as well. Pump panels are another big one too. If you need a replacement breaker or starter, it's cheaper to buy a whole pump panel and gut it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes, it's far cheaper to buy a value pack than to buy the individual main breaker. Furthermore, you can save the panel from which you removed the main breaker, add some lugs, and you have a subpanel at your disposal. In fact, I don't buy MLO panels anymore, I buy main breaker ones and remove the breaker and add lugs.

So what do you use for the filler on the main breaker you removed. Those plastic fillers in some panels are odd sized and expensive.

templdl

We buy whole panels just for the breakers as well. Pump panels are another big one too. If you need a replacement breaker or starter, it's cheaper to buy a whole pump panel and gut it.

I worked for a manufacturer and doing what you sre doing is just another way too skin a cat and there is not a thing wrong with it. My company still made a decent profit and my customer depended upon me to be a good supplier. I always remembered who gave me the paycheck as it was not my customer but my employer. My objective as to assure that my company was profitable and to assure that my customer had confidence in me.

mkgrady

Thank you Peter and the rest for the responses

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I need to install a MCB in an existing 200 amp MLO panel. It is a Cat# HOMC40UC.

The panel has a knock out where the MCB would go if it had one. I don't have a regular supplier for Square products to ask. So here goes... Purchasing a new 200 MCB panel is only about $100 at the big box. Is it safe to assume that purchasing this panel, removing the MCB and putting it in the existing panel can be done? Is it safe to assume that buying the MCB at a Square D distributor will cost more than $100?

The local Square D supplier charges me substantially more than my other local distributors so I avoid using them.

If it is the same panel, except for the main breaker, I would just use the whole new interior and not bother adding the breaker to the existing buss.

kbsparky

I need to install a MCB in an existing 200 amp MLO panel. It is a Cat# HOMC40UC.....

FWIW, that catalog number is for the panel cover.

I have a whole box full of those main breakers in my shop. QOM2200VH. Brand-new, never used. They were removed from main breaker panels when MLO panels were required. Fits both QO and Homeline panels.

You can have one for $60 including shipping. PM me if interested.

templdl

Yup. I avoid them unless I have to buy square d and it is something the big box doesn't sell.

Quite often a distributor is locked into a given product discount "multiplier" which is based upon the product classification such as renewal parts, components, assemblies, as well as distributors themselves can be placed in a group based upon a predetermined volume of business that they may fall under. This may have changed from what I had been accustomed to 15 years ago but I had a number of discount schedules (multiplier classifications) dependent dependent upon what the customer was classified as. As such a distributor my be locked onto a given price as determined by the manufacturer may have their hands tied. A product that is an assembly is priced for that market where components target the component market. The markets are two separate pricing points. It is the creativeness of the contractor to use the cost advantage that purchasing an assembly provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.