homes on holmes ( the show )

Status
Not open for further replies.
i usually don't watch shows like this but i was scanning through the channels the other day and i ended up watching an episode of this show and it was good and what not but the ended up talking about the electric panel in this one house and what they said was that you can bring branch circuits next to your main conductors in your panel which was something i never heard of , so i looked through my code book and still couldn't find anything and then asked a few of my electric teachers at school and none of them have ever heard of that either
has anyone hear heard of that just out of curiosity
is it maybe a local code type of thing ?

iwire

Staff member
It is a pretty good rule really, one that was submitted for our code but turned down.

A residential load center in Canada has an additional metal shield under the normal cover that shields the line side of the main breaker so if you shut off the main and take the regular cover off there are no exposed live parts to cause problems.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A residential load center in Canada has an additional metal shield under the normal cover that shields the line side of the main breaker so if you shut off the main and take the regular cover off there are no exposed live parts to cause problems.
Alsp, no useable KO's on the top of the enclosures, so you have to make 'wire wings' beside the panel, or mount the panel sideways, which we can't do (if we want/need to use both columns of spaces).

Alsp, no useable KO's on the top of the enclosures, so you have to make 'wire wings' beside the panel, or mount the panel sideways, which we can't do (if we want/need to use both columns of spaces).

that's what they did in the show, they mounted it side ways and brought all the circuits into the side and the main conductors came in through the top

macmikeman

They have invented an American way to prevent the service conductors from entering the same cabinet as the branch circuit breakers. Its called an outdoor meter/main disconnect, and sub panel inside. Modern highly advanced and sophisticated urban district power company's such as Heco in Honolulu require the main disco outside for most dwelling situations. Its a real bummer when we have to shovel all the snow away from the box first though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.