Horizontal boring eqpmt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Working on a trench job, having to go under some major roots. Managed a 2 foot stretch with driving a 2 " PVC through the dirt & knocking dirt out. Can now get a 3/4 rigid through it. Will try same on a 6 foot section, hope it works.

I saw a boring kit at pollardwater.com for under $300. Has anyone used this or a similar tool? I may consider buying one if they work well. So far, I haven't found anything small and manageable at rental places.

Also, has anyone seen a 1 or 2 inch earth bit for a 1/2 inch drill? That would be great sometimes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I have used a well point and a stick of rigid, with a backhoe and a driving head.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200321309_200321309?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Water%20Pumps-_-Water%20Pump%20Accessories-_-108107&ci_sku=108107&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
I used a 1-1/4" point worked good.

jmellc

Occupation
i'd be interested in seeing how this deals with roots and the other fun stuff we find....
one guy augered a 60' run to the curb for a sewer with this thing and a super hawg? geez...

Something like that would be great but I could use a smaller bit, 1 1/2 would usually be good, sometimes 2 1/2. I'll have to call them & see if they can do smaller sizes. This would be a lot less messy than water drills. I may also try to find some old ragged 1 inch or 1 1/2 wood bits and put them on extensions to try drilling that way. Rock would be a major problem with any of these as I see it, but worth a try.

jmellc

Occupation
New Twist, Inspector wants GFI

New Twist, Inspector wants GFI

I finally got the ditch all the way across, more zigzagging than I wanted, but hard to dig on a slope and bad roots, etc.

I decided to run metallic sealtight, LFMC, part way, under the big roots & across a drainage, then back to rigid. I am 2-4 inches of concrete over the flex and leaving the rigid with 6 inches or deeper. Flex will be 12 inches or more. Called inspector to be sure he'd approve; he wants it on GFCI, as per 300.5, column 4. He sees that as required, not one of the options. I think column 3, line 2 says I am OK without GFCI. I planned a GFCI receptacle in the shed. I have another call out to him asking him to recheck table & see if he still thinks same way. I will have to change my setup at the house to put a GFCI device there. Already having to used tandem breakers, no room for GFCI breaker.

Opinions here?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I finally got the ditch all the way across, more zigzagging than I wanted, but hard to dig on a slope and bad roots, etc.

I decided to run metallic sealtight, LFMC, part way, under the big roots & across a drainage, then back to rigid. I am 2-4 inches of concrete over the flex and leaving the rigid with 6 inches or deeper. Flex will be 12 inches or more. Called inspector to be sure he'd approve; he wants it on GFCI, as per 300.5, column 4. He sees that as required, not one of the options. I think column 3, line 2 says I am OK without GFCI. I planned a GFCI receptacle in the shed. I have another call out to him asking him to recheck table & see if he still thinks same way. I will have to change my setup at the house to put a GFCI device there. Already having to used tandem breakers, no room for GFCI breaker.

Opinions here?

"Column 4 Residential Branch Circuits
Rated 120 Volts or Less with GFCI Protection
and Maximum Overcurrent Protection of 20 Amperes"

i'll let the code experts pick this apart, but......

does the wording mean that the overcurrent
protection and GFCI can be provided by different
devices? i'd argue that if all points of utilization
are provided with GFCI protection, the protection
does not have to originate at the OCPD.

hiding out in column three i don't think will work
well for you:

"Column 3 Nonmetallic Raceways Listed for Direct
Burial Without Concrete Encasement or Other
Approved Raceways

you are using metallic flex, yes?

ritelec

i'd be interested in seeing how

At a small job unrelated, Verizon was able to get their cable some 40 or 50 feet buried and then under a driveway 20 feet without disturbing anything. 12 " or 2 feet........not sure how deep but
either way, I'm impressed.....................and from what the home owner said, they were there like 45 minutes...............Curious.............
back to my white elephant.

jmellc

Occupation
At a small job unrelated, Verizon was able to get their cable some 40 or 50 feet buried and then under a driveway 20 feet without disturbing anything. 12 " or 2 feet........not sure how deep but
either way, I'm impressed.....................and from what the home owner said, they were there like 45 minutes...............Curious.............
back to my white elephant.

From what I've seen, they have great equipment for nearly any situation. They are not code bound either, last I know, so they can bury whatever depth works out for them. At my house, they buried a new cable about 2-3 inches deep.

One thing I found helped some. A bulb auger, 1 1/2 by 30 inches, fits regular drill. I managed to bore under some root masses with it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
From what I've seen, they have great equipment for nearly any situation. They are not code bound either, last I know, so they can bury whatever depth works out for them. At my house, they buried a new cable about 2-3 inches deep.

One thing I found helped some. A bulb auger, 1 1/2 by 30 inches, fits regular drill. I managed to bore under some root masses with it.

yeah, telcos have some amazing stuff.... there is a fiber backbone blower that SHOVES the cable thru the
pipe, while using compressed air to flutter the cable so it will slide..... they can shove a 1/2" diameter
cable thru a 4" duct about three miles, they were saying, as they shoved it in 200' a minute off a huge spool
with this thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.