Horse Barn and Shop Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-S

New User
Occupation
Power Plant Tech/Ranching
I've got a question about sizing a service feeder to a Horse Barn and a Work Shop I'd like some clarification on. Sizing service feeders get a little fuzzy on me.

Horse Barn...We've got a horse barn that we are feeding from our house breaker panel so this will be a sub panel. We are using an existing 40 amp 240v feeder wire that went to an RV pole. The feeder is 200' of #2 aluminum triplex. I know we aren't supposed to mix the nuetral and grounds in a sub panel but I really don't want to pull a ground wire in. I don't need 240v at the barn so thought I'd just make this feeder a 120v to the horse barn. The calculator shows 40 amps at 240v but only 25 amps @ 120v, is this correct? Also I know this isn't to code but would running the triplex at 240v and then adding a ground rod for the ground be ok? The horse barn will be wired in EMT and will have 6 lights, a few fans, and a couple recepticles. I'm worried if I mix the nuetrals and grounds you could get a tingle on the conduit. Would this be the case?

Work Shop...The Shop will be fed from a pedestal mounted 300 amp meter service that feeds 2 seperate 200 amp panels both mounted next to the meter on the pedestal. One panel currently feeds the house the other is going to feed the shop. This feeder will be 350' long. What size should this feeder be for a general ranch repair shop? I figure the most amperage the shop will see is around 75 amps if the lights are on I'm welding and the air compressor kicks on. I've been told 4/0 aluminum, 300 kcmil, and 500 Kcmil. Also should this feeder be a 3 or 4 wire service since it's basically coming of the bottom of the meter?

Sorry for the long first post. This forum has answered allot of questions for me in the past.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.