Hospital Emergency Panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I believe there is a rule in the code (it may be in NFPA 99) that requires Critical Branch panelboards to serve only loads on the same floor. Life Safety may serve multiple floors. I can't seem to find this in 517. Am I mistaken? and if not, where is the requirement?

Thanks,

Mike

ericsherman37

I don't see it in 517 either. I don't see why the critical branch panelboard couldn't serve stuff on different floors though. I haven't read any other codes on the subject, though, so I stand to learn from this thread too :D

cadpoint

Why don't you start in Article 585, 700, & 701, an Annex F?

In 700 it points to NFPA 99 in the FPN.

And theres a typo in the Index NFPA-70 08' "Critical Operations Power Systems. Art. 585" there no such Article...

I missed the errata for 08'.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Not sure, but I believe in Illinois that is a State requirement. So it may not be in any of the NFPA codes. May also be a joint commission requirement or similar regulatory agency requirement.

The way I've seen it stated is that branch circuit panels serve loads on the same floor, except LS panels can serve loads on the floor above or below the level of the panel.

The basic idea is to keep staff from having to run to other floors to reset circuit breakers.

anbm

I don't think this rule come from 517 or NFPA-99. It is more about local AHJ rule. In state of TX:

Critical branch panel can only serve load on floor which panel is located.

Life-Safety panel can serve load on three floors: floor that panel is located... plus load on floor above and below.

mshields

Found it!

Found it!

It's in the AIA guidelines paragraph 10.3.3.2.

While these are in fact "guidelines", they are evidently drawn upon by the DPH when they make up their checklists. As such, it is for intent and purpose, a requirement.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.