Hospital Grade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyrick

If a device like an autoclave or water solenoid in a dental clinic HAS a hospital grade cord cap, does it need to be plugged into a hospital grade receptacle, even though they are outside of patient care areas?

Nom Deplume

I would say that you don't need a HG receptacle if outside the patient care area.
The manufacturer probably used the HG cord cap because they didn't know where it would be used and they would be covered either way.

sparkyrick

I would say that you don't need a HG receptacle if outside the patient care area.
The manufacturer probably used the HG cord cap because they didn't know where it would be used and they would be covered either way.

We'll see on Friday how this "By-the-Book" inspector feels during my final on this dental clinic! I've never installed HG receptacles outside of patient care areas, but this guy might not see it that way. What if he does insist that the receptacle be HG "per manufacturer's" requirements, does it need redundant grounding? Maybe I'll bring my Dremel and buzz off the green dot, LOL!

Cavie

We'll see on Friday how this "By-the-Book" inspector feels during my final on this dental clinic! I've never installed HG receptacles outside of patient care areas, but this guy might not see it that way. What if he does insist that the receptacle be HG "per manufacturer's" requirements, does it need redundant grounding? Maybe I'll bring my Dremel and buzz off the green dot, LOL!

If he does ask for the code # and remind him this is not a patient care area. If he does, ask him if you put it in the lobby would it need a HP recp? 99% of inspectors will not ask to see manufactures requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.