Hospital Grade Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick S.

I recently asked my class a code question concerning how many "hospital grade" receptacles were required in patient bed locations. After answering correctly, my student asked what the difference was between a "hospital grade" receptacle and a standard commercial grade 20 amp receptacle. After a little research, the best answer I came up with was that the construction of the "hospital grade" receptacle was made to ensure a better ground and the device was designed so that the attachment plugs would not be as likely to come out of the receptacle as easily. Is there anything that you can add to this? His next question was, "If they are concerned about machines not coming unplugged, why don't they use twist-locks?" and......."If it provides better grounding, why don't they have that on all devices since grounding is a concern for safety?"

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I know one of the differences is that the hospital grade must pass a certain amount of pull force on the plug before it comes out.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Proper grounding connections are more important in a hospital. So it makes sense to require better receptacles there.

One of the catalogs had a good graphic of the tests a hospital grade outlet has to pass in the front of their hospital grade section. I think it was P&S, but I can't find it online.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Proper grounding connections are more important in a hospital. So it makes sense to require better receptacles there.

One of the catalogs had a good graphic of the tests a hospital grade outlet has to pass in the front of their hospital grade section. I think it was P&S, but I can't find it online.

It was P&S Steve and it is hard to find now days. I have it down loaded on another computer but as luck would have it, it crashed. :rant:

Roger

JFletcher

It just doesn't sound right when you say "we had to twist the plug on Uncle Joe last week". :slaphead:

:D

I'd imagine that while you want the plugs to stay in, if one were tripped over, a standard plug will let go; a twist lock wont and would probably damage a $20,000 automatic air bed or some other hideously expensive medical equipment.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
:D

I'd imagine that while you want the plugs to stay in, if one were tripped over, a standard plug will let go; a twist lock wont and would probably damage a $20,000 automatic air bed or some other hideously expensive medical equipment.

Considering how lightweight electronic equipment is nowadays I'm not sure a hospital-grade receptacle wouldn't hold onto the plug while you and the equipment head to the floor. Those receptacles are pretty tenacious.

norcal

With having to do the annual receptacle tests, one thing I have noticed is the weak point is the grounding contacts, the L & N contacts rarely fail the test.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
His next question was, "If they are concerned about machines not coming unplugged, why don't they use twist-locks?"

As much as I like growlers response, I don't think it has anything to do with concern about the cord coming unplugged.

I think its all about making sure there is enough pressure on the ground connection to ensure the equipment is properly grounded. It just happens that the pullout tension is the best way to measure that.

kwired

Electron manager
As much as I like growlers response, I don't think it has anything to do with concern about the cord coming unplugged.

I think its all about making sure there is enough pressure on the ground connection to ensure the equipment is properly grounded. It just happens that the pullout tension is the best way to measure that.
As in more contact pressure will likely yield better contact, and probably on all contacts not just the ground pin, not only is grounding conductor possibly critical but so is continuity of power when it comes to medical equipment, though a lot of equipment these days runs on a battery, they just plug it in when the patient isn't mobile to keep the charge up.

A twist lock would help prevent accidental pull out, but still the contact pressure could make a difference in resistance of the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.