Hot Siemens panel busbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I had heard that someone ran into funny voltage readings on a home furnace, and traced it to a Quad 15/30/30/15 breaker that was used for a dryer sharing the 15amp breaker for the furnace. The prongs that attach the breaker to the bus were separated from what appeared to be excessive heat and not clamping onto the bus. By cleaning the oxidized bus with a file or emery cloth, are there any issues with damage to the bus plating finish that would affect the new breaker? Aside from the point of attachment and breaker, all appears to be ok in the panel. Thanks again.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would be concerned that the metals hardness and such has been changed from the heat that was subjected.
I have seen these things fail again.

templdl

I would conclude that the breaker in question has been damaged by the heating ana has lost its tension. As such it isn't capable of making sufficient contact to the bus. Replace the breaker.
I would also be concerned with damaged bus. If you think the bus is questionable you may consider abandoning that space and using a different space .

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Damaged metal, and abrasive from the emery cloth

Years ago I was always taught not to clean commutators contact points,,,,,,,,,, whatever with emery cloth. It embeds into the metal and keeps the brushes or contacts just slightly off the surface. High resistance and burned contacts commutator or whatever.

Maybe it's the old German in me, but I cringe when I see emery cloth. and I think how I was taught to use a file to dress contacts. Although I have no problem with a wire wheel on a dremmel or something.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I always move to a new breaker position after something like that and put a breaker blank over the bad spot. If they're out of spaces, it's time for new panel. Or guts, if you can still find them.

the blur

new panel guts are not UL listed. time for new panel. I have seen this happen with low current devices that run all day.

last time I saw this, the breaker was melted to the bus bars. drawing 15amps from a smallish A/C unit. drawing 15 amps (measured) all day was enough to heat up the contact points over time. Even on a 50 amp breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.