"hot top"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What does the phrase "hot top" mean to you?

Full context:

AC Disco [for a solar system] required only where meter and main panel access it inhibited, where a hot-top is the point-of-interconnection, or where NEC/CEC require one.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
my wife has one, but i suspect thats not an answer you are looking for ;)

jaggedben

Occupation
Bump.

Anyone else have input on this?

I think ggunn's guess is a good one but it also goes without saying that a supply-side connection needs a disconnect. I'm wondering if 'hot top' means anything technically specific to anyone, particularly in a non solar context.

mgookin

Bump.

Anyone else have input on this?

I think ggunn's guess is a good one but it also goes without saying that a supply-side connection needs a disconnect. I'm wondering if 'hot top' means anything technically specific to anyone, particularly in a non solar context.

When you first posted the question I googled the phrase and came across the same thing you posted. I thought then (and I still think) it's a typo. "Hot TAP"?

Maybe see if you can contact the author?

jaggedben

Occupation
I've seen the same phrasing in several places so I don't think it's a typo. It appears in some AHJ's requirements for PV systems, and then re-appears in a couple sites I use that collate info about PV permitting.

I will probably just try to ask one of these AHJs if/when I get a chance. I have a feeling they are also copying from each other and anyone I talk to may or may not know the original author's meaning. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.