Hot-tub Bonding

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are there any Code Sections or Manufacturer Instructions that require bonding of any hot-tub components by any means other than the normal equipment ground conductor supply the hot-tub.
(At one time I believe there was a requirement for a #8 bond back to the service)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They were once treated as pools and required the equipotential bonding. Then the Code changed for mfg tubs, built as self contained and didn't require the EB. Even then , there are requirements for items near the tub that are a certain height above the tub rim.
I have seen some whirlpool instructions saying to run a #8 back to the panel. I've never installed one but a friend of mine did. I say whirlpool, like a hydromessage tub.

I have a Jacuzzi tub and there was nothing in the instructions about any bonding, just to run an EGC. All the inside metallic parts are factory bonded.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are there any Code Sections or Manufacturer Instructions that require bonding of any hot-tub components by any means other than the normal equipment ground conductor supply the hot-tub.
(At one time I believe there was a requirement for a #8 bond back to the service)

I have never seen any documentation for that and hence I have never seen it. I did once see a requirement for a bond back to the panel for a hydromassage tub. How ridiculous was that-- psst... I never ran it.

The manufacturer of the tub should have taken care of all the bonding in the equipment.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
680.42 and 680.43 requires compliance with parts I and II of article 680 included within part II is the EB requirements (680.26). There are several conditions to be met to exempt having an EB.
At one time I believe there was a requirement for a #8 bond back to the service)
the #8 EB is not required to go back to panel but it can. 680.26(B).......An 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.

Buck Parrish

The whirl pool tubs inside a house bath room required a #8 back to the panel. Some had inline water heaters.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The whirl pool tubs inside a house bath room required a #8 back to the panel. Some had inline water heaters.
At one time Jacuzzi had that requirements in their instructions but it does not appear in the latest installation instructions I have seen.
Is there any requirement beyond manufacturer instructions ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
At one time Jacuzzi had that requirements in their instructions but it does not appear in the latest installation instructions I have seen.
Is there any requirement beyond manufacturer instructions ?
Only that an EGC be ran with the circuit and connected to the tub.