hot tub close to a wall, needs equipotential bonding ?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I tried to find where code requires an outside hot tub to have equipotential bonding under ground if it is located too close to a wall or structure. I couldn't find it. An electrical inspector told me this years ago. Thank you !

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Equipotential bonding is covered in 680ptII. Hot tubs in ptIII and ptIV, both of which say to follow ptI but don't mention ptII. 680.42(B) states that the equipotential bonding of 680.26 is not required if it's a self-contained store-bought deal. That said, manufacturers may still require it commonly, carefully check the installer manual of the unit. I believe I quoted a job for one that had the equipotential bonding requirement in the instructions. Do pay attention to electrical devices in the vicinity, though, and just read through the relevant pt in 680 carefully.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
@Stevenfyeager I suspect he is quoting 680.42. I believe #4 is the iossue.

(B) Bonding.

Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted. The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces in accordance with 680.26(B)(2) shall not be required to be provided for spas and hot tubs where all of the following conditions apply:
  • (1)
    The spa or hot tub shall be listed, labeled, and identified as a self-contained spa for aboveground use.
  • (2)
    The spa or hot tub shall not be identified as suitable only for indoor use.
  • (3)
    The installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be located on or above grade.
  • (4)
    The top rim of the spa or hot tub shall be at least 710 mm (28 in.) above all perimeter surfaces that are within 760 mm (30 in.), measured horizontally from the spa or hot tub. The height of nonconductive external steps for entry to or exit from the self-contained spa shall not be used to reduce or increase this rim height measurement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see how that applies.
That section allows you to omit the bonding around the tub if you meet those 4 conditions. #4 states the top of the tub must be 28" above all perimeter surfaces within 30" of the tub. How can you have 28" above a wall or anything if it is within 30" of the tub. This condition, IMO, has not been met.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That section allows you to omit the bonding around the tub if you meet those 4 conditions. #4 states the top of the tub must be 28" above all perimeter surfaces within 30" of the tub. How can you have 28" above a wall or anything if it is within 30" of the tub. This condition, IMO, has not been met.
It doesn't state it, but I believe the intent was 28" above the floor/deck surface. It mentions the steps to the tub not being used to reduce or increase the rim height measurement. If they meant for a tub to be a certain distance from a wall, they should have put that in the code.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Suppose one is wiring for a yet-unknown/unpurchased unit?
Whoever installs the tub is responsible for its meeting code. If you're just installing a power outlet for TBD devices, then you're just installing a power outlet. Scope it appropriately in the contract. Don't reference a hot tub in any way. It's someone else's problem. I'm not a lawyer, but that seems prudent in this case. Am I supposed to fulfill every possible code requirement for every possible installation when I install an outlet? What if they decide to install a fuel dispenser or an iron lung instead...?