Hot Tub Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

2005 NEC.......Disconnect is located on a permanent partition ( 7' wall mad from lattice) that surrounds the hot tub. Disconnect is located on the other side of this partition, but within the 5' area. I cant find the code section that would address this scenerio if its a violation or not. Since it is lattice panels, you can see the disconnect, but would have to travel more than 15' to reach it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that the requirement does not apply to single-family dwellings.
For other locations, my opinion would be that the 15 ft travel would not meet the 5 ft adjacent requirement.

VIC1958

I was under the impression that only applied to Emergency Switches. My questions pertains to 680.12.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I was under the impression that only applied to Emergency Switches. My questions pertains to 680.12.
680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means. See related ROP One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.
One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment.

Last edited:

Steviechia2

I have seen them installed within the tubs equipment enclosure and have done it myself. It seems that this would be a code violation because not 5' away.
I cannot see it a safety issue if it is behind the door with the equipment that you will be servicing?

Steviechia2

680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means. See related ROP One or more means to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool, spa, or hot tub unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 1.5 m (5 ft) reach path or greater. This horizontal distance is to be measured from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnect.
One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment.

What does this mean ? (that provides a reach path 5ft or greater)
Shouldn't this say (if there is a permanently installed barrier the disconnect can be within the 5ft zone) ?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Shouldn't this say (if there is a permanently installed barrier the disconnect can be within the 5ft zone) ?
In my view, that will not fly. Consider this: you have to remove the barrier (the panel on the hot tub) to access the disconnect, then it is not readily accessible, and even if it was, it would then be within a 5 foot reach.
I think the OP's application is OK as it is readily accessible, within sight, and more than 5' of reach. I would consider the lattice work not blocking the view of the disco.

Cavie

Can be within 5' of spa IF barrier provides 5' or greater reach path as in "up and over". That is if my English teacher did her job.

Status
Not open for further replies.