Hot tub element resistance

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
A neighbor asked me to look at their hot tub. Initially the pump controls weren't working. They hadn't used the tub in a while.

I replaced 2 switches which were bad and the pump works fine. However the heater is not. The relay pulls in but no hot water. I'm measuring a resistance of 8.4 ohms for the resistance on the 1500 watt element. What is your thought on that measurement?
Thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It depends on the wattage rating, which tells us the resistance, and the actual voltage applied.

I suggest doing voltage tests. Is there voltage between the element terminals when the relay is in?

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
Opps, yes that would be an important thing to know. (Don't get old)
1500 watts, 120 volts, tested with a Fluke

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1500w / 120v = 12.5a
120v / 12.5a = 9.6 ohms (hot)

120v / 8.4 ohms (cold)= 14.3a
120v x 14.3a = 1716w

retirede

Every tub I’ve seen (other than plug-in) have 240V elements.
The cold resistance should be considerably less than at operating conditions.

Pat75

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, this is a plug in tub. Element energizes once circulation motor is turned off. If Tstat isn't satisfied it energizes a relay which poweres element and a small pump. The small pump supplies water to flow through the housing which holds the Element.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
As the owner of a hot tub ( with a 240V heater) It is going to take a looong time to heat the tub. I would do as others have suggested and volt check, and amp out the heater. If those numbers are correct, all is good, just going to take a while.

Howard

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Element energizes once circulation motor is turned off. If Tstat isn't satisfied it energizes a relay which poweres element and a small pump. The small pump supplies water to flow through the housing which holds the Element.
Actually, the small pump is the circulation pump, for heating and filtration.

The larger pump is the jet pump, which turns off the heater when on 120v.

On 240, there is enough power available to heat while the jets are running.

Disclaimer: This is all based on it being a convertible tub.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Every hot tub controller I have worked on has a pair of smallish cartridge fuses for the heater elements, like a Bussman FNM-20, on the PC board. My prediction is that you will find and replace those fuses, then discover that the GFCI trips instantly, because your heater elements are "leaking" from having corroded while in the water so long. I've been down this road several times, it's always the same result.