Hot Tub Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Bohne

i am a new tradesman and have a hot tub to install...it looks like i need a GFI breaker at 60 amps. if i have this do i need a disconnect within 5 ft and do i really need a general use receptacle(GFCI)? (240 volt, single phase)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a single family dwelling the disconnect needs to be within sight (50') or part of the package unit itself.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
For a single family dwelling the disconnect needs to be within sight (50') or part of the package unit itself.

For the other applications it can be an emergency off button, not a typical disco which I think the op is talking about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Len said:
2005 code requires disconnect 5' from hot tub.
2008 is unchanged from 2005.

680.41 Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs.
A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

kkwong

Me thinks we need some more info...

I do agree that the 5' rule is for commercial, but is 50' really line of site? I can't tell if my disco is thrown from 40' let alone 50'.

Minuteman

kkwong said:

I do agree that the 5' rule is for commercial, but is 50' really line of site? I can't tell if my disco is thrown from 40' let alone 50'.
Yeah it's off, I think. Go ahead. It should be safe...

I hope. :rolleyes:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
kkwong said:

I don't think it was ever meant that you visually see the disconnect in the 'off' position.

Jay Bohne

bradleyelectric said:
are you doing this by yourself as a new tradesman?
I actually did this with a friend who is a journeyman as well...the 120vac receptacle was not installed, as there was one about 15' away GFCI protected. I put the GFCI disconnect at 6' away, and it worked without a problem...what is the deal with the general use receptacle? I interpreted the code to be neccesary if the equipment utilized it, then it was required...local code issue?

Jay Bohne

kkwong said:
1. Welcome to the Forum :)

2. No local ammendments-Yes to the disconnect within 5' and 120VAC recep.
1. thank-you
2. I was with a highly experienced tradesman and we are still confused on the 120vac receptacle...everything we read in the code said that it was indoor application and only required if the equipment(pump etc.)....help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.