Hot Tub Pad Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtrak

I have a hot tub job coming up and the owner wants a concrete pad. I have not as yet wired an outdoor tub. What type of bonding do I need in the pad and how do I terminate it and where? Thanks

Bob NH

ashtrak said:
I have a hot tub job coming up and the owner wants a concrete pad. I have not as yet wired an outdoor tub. What type of bonding do I need in the pad and how do I terminate it and where? Thanks
Being immersed in water that is touching a pump and heater powered by 240 Volts is serious business.

The requirements are too much to type in here. You really must get Article 680 of the 2005 NEC and spend an evening or two studying it.

If fact, if you are doing electrical work for pay, you should own the code. You can often get one on that auction site for about $50. You can also read but not print the 2005 code on the NFPA site.

NEC Article 680 covers everything from before the pad is poured through installing the lights and outlets for the wet bar. You should also have a chat with the electrical inspector before you pour concrete. Grounding the pad and all the other things are not cheap and mistakes in concrete are hard to erase.

The going price for electrical work for a simple spa/outdoor tub on a deck around here is $1000 to $1200. That doesn't include the special costs of concrete pad and bonding.

barbeer

Here is the problem I see with portable spas (the real name for hot tubs and such), existing slabs. Some ideas from people in this situation would be appreciated. Portable spas (hot tubs) are just that, not permanently installed, seems like some leeway should be given for the EBG requirement. JMO of course

Bob NH

barbeer said:
Here is the problem I see with portable spas (the real name for hot tubs and such), existing slabs. Some ideas from people in this situation would be appreciated. Portable spas (hot tubs) are just that, not permanently installed, seems like some leeway should be given for the EBG requirement. JMO of course
The Equipotential Bonding Grid is associated with tying all of the conductive paved surfaces together with the metal parts that might become electrified, and getting them securely grounded. If you don't have paved surfaces, it becomes a lot simpler.

There are plenty of non-conductive plastic materials, such as plastic decking, that can be used instead of "paved walking surfaces" mentioned in 680.26(C). When combined with the reinforced plastic construction usually used for the tub, there isn't much left to bond. You don't need a "grid" in the usual sense, and in fact, there is no place to put one.

For existing slabs, it is not a big deal to put an insulated plastic deck on top of the slab.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Bob NH said:
If fact, if you are doing electrical work for pay, you should own the code. You can often get one on that auction site for about $50. You can also read but not print the 2005 code on the NFPA site.
Bob, you may not have intended to come off that way, but this is a pretty rude comment, IMO. If you look at Ashtrak's post record he has made references to the 2005 NEC in the past.

That said, I agree with your analysis of the situation. A refresher of 680.26 would be a good idea.

Bob NH

georgestolz said:
Bob, you may not have intended to come off that way, but this is a pretty rude comment, IMO. If you look at Ashtrak's post record he has made references to the 2005 NEC in the past.

That said, I agree with your analysis of the situation. A refresher of 680.26 would be a good idea.
I apologize for any offending comment, which was unintended. I was not familiar with the record of Ashtrak and the question seemed to be one that is substantially answered in the code. Therefore, I inferred that he may not have the latest code and I thought I was being helpful.

ashtrak

George and Bob

George and Bob

Thanks for the comments, I'm pretty thick skined, so no offence was taken. I was at work when I posted and didn't have a 2005 handy. I always get good info here and thought I would add the experience of you guys to what I read in the code book. I've done a couple of hot tubs but the have been on wood decks. Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.