Hot Tub/Spa Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have a hot tub to wire. Have not done one in a while so I am brushing up on the code. We are on 2020.

I know any chapter 3 wiring method is ok in a dwelling. I have an existing sub-panel I want to come out of. The panel is fed 3 wire (2H, 1N) Emt equipment ground. I am assuming this is ok.?

Related to this, I can't find the (old) requirement for an INSULATED equipment ground between the hot tub and the hot tub panel, is this still required? From what I read it is only required in corrosive locations?

What I am getting is that if it is listed and labeled for outdoor use (it is going outdoors)
that :

Disconnect required by 680:13 within site at least 5' from pool

Disconnect not required in a one family dwelling 680:41 ???? I am putting one in, just wondering

General use 120 v GFCI between 6' and 20' of hot tub 680:22 A 1

No lighting overhead 5' from any edge of the pool to a height of 12' 680:22 B 1

Outdoor installations comply with par 1, 2 and 4 of article 680

Equipotential bonding not required 680:42 B 1,2,3,4 if requirements are met

I am still digging through this but I thing those are the questions I have for now.

Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
@infinity

Yes I am, licensed in MA. & CT dropped Vermont. I just noticed that my profile doesn't say that anymore. I will look into that
Thank you
Most (if not all) occupation entries were lost in the recent conversion to a new software platform. Senior members are encouraged to check their profiles and update them as necessary.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a hot tub to wire. Have not done one in a while so I am brushing up on the code. We are on 2020.

I know any chapter 3 wiring method is ok in a dwelling. I have an existing sub-panel I want to come out of. The panel is fed 3 wire (2H, 1N) Emt equipment ground. I am assuming this is ok.?

Related to this, I can't find the (old) requirement for an INSULATED equipment ground between the hot tub and the hot tub panel, is this still required? From what I read it is only required in corrosive locations?

What I am getting is that if it is listed and labeled for outdoor use (it is going outdoors)
that :

Disconnect required by 680:13 within site at least 5' from pool

Disconnect not required in a one family dwelling 680:41 ???? I am putting one in, just wondering

General use 120 v GFCI between 6' and 20' of hot tub 680:22 A 1

No lighting overhead 5' from any edge of the pool to a height of 12' 680:22 B 1

Outdoor installations comply with par 1, 2 and 4 of article 680

Equipotential bonding not required 680:42 B 1,2,3,4 if requirements are met

I am still digging through this but I thing those are the questions I have for now.

Thanks
You still need a disconnect, just not an emergency disconnect that is required for non-dwellings. It just needs to be minimum of 5' from the tub up to "within sight" which is 50'.
This is based on the 2017 so I'm not sure what the 2020 says.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
What about coming out of a sub panel whose supply feeder uses EMT as an equipment ground? Can I assume that is ok? The only reference I can find to an insulated ground deals with a corrosive environment.

Don't know why this is nagging me, maybe a change from an earlier code

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What about coming out of a sub panel whose supply feeder uses EMT as an equipment ground? Can I assume that is ok? The only reference I can find to an insulated ground deals with a corrosive environment.

Don't know why this is nagging me, maybe a change from an earlier code
Since the EMT is a recognized method of grounding, or better stated, bonding, it is fine. The code doesn't prohibit it except for a few rules which don't apply here. As long as there is a solid mechanical and electrical bond from the main panel to the subpanel I wouldn't hesitate to connect the hot tub. Of course you would need a spa disconnect within sight and GFCI protected.

kwired

Electron manager
680.42 says outdoor spas must comply with parts I and II, in there is 680.21 that would usually require you to run an insulated EGC for most typical installations.

However 680.42 (C) allows chapter 3 wiring methods for the interior portion of the circuit when supplying an outdoor spa which would mean use of NM cable with non insulated EGC or even metallic wiring methods used as the EGC would be permitted here. The outdoor portion of the circuit must still have an insulated EGC.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
@kwired

Yes I saw that. An insulated EGC is required in a corrosive environment. I would consider it a good practice anyhow to use an insulated EGC outdoors rather than question the environment it is installed in.

I think at one time pools had to be wired with conduit from the indoor panel to the pool and use an insulated ground under all conditions

kwired

Electron manager
@kwired

Yes I saw that. An insulated EGC is required in a corrosive environment. I would consider it a good practice anyhow to use an insulated EGC outdoors rather than question the environment it is installed in.

I think at one time pools had to be wired with conduit from the indoor panel to the pool and use an insulated ground under all conditions
Did a little looking and the corrosive environment wording first appears in 2017. Before then it was basically all installations with allowance at dwellings for indoor portion of the circuit to use any chapter 3 wiring method.

Status
Not open for further replies.