Hot tub spec sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Looking over a install manual for a hot tub. Manual calls for a 50A 240V GFCI circuit with a #6 "ground". I have always in the past used a #10 whether it be in the 6/3 NM cable or in a conduit. Could it be referring to the grounded (neutral) conductor? Anybody here run into a spec such as this? #10 is good for a 60A OC device. #6 is good for 200A . Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is it possible that they are talking about the bond wire for the pump motor and any associated metal piping?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
if the install instructions call for a #6 ground wire, it MUST have a #6 or you violate 110.3(b).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many hot tub manufacturers require a full sized neutral and egc. I don't know why they are allowed to do that and I wonder if it is in the listing and labeling of the tub or just the manufacturers instructions. I suspect the instructions may be part of the listing and labeling but I am not sure.

Volta

Many hot tub manufacturers require a full sized neutral and egc. I don't know why they are allowed to do that and I wonder if it is in the listing and labeling of the tub or just the manufacturers instructions. I suspect the instructions may be part of the listing and labeling but I am not sure.

I often wonder that myself.

Also, I often wonder if the manufacturers resubmit the equipment for testing when/if the instructions are modified.

defears

Think about it. You don't install a #6, and someone gets electrocuted, guess what the manufacturer will say.
You can't sue me, it wasn't installed by a qualified professional that didn't read the instructions. You lose, and you did everything by the code too.

Also make sure it doesn't say to use a Square D gfci breaker. I've seen that too.

defears

The manufacturer cannot do that. It would have to say or equal.

But it did. Maybe they stopped it, but it did.

Why can't they do that anyway? I've seen many instructions for many things that give a part # for a specific manufacturer part to use and that's all.

tekelec

Occupation
Electrician
I also have seen the #6 ground required by several different hot tub manufactures. Usually when you have one 50 amp breaker for the tub. I did see one manual that listed a #8 ground. Also Most of the tubs that I have seen that have a 2 pole 20 and a 2 pole 30 feeding the motor and the heater seperatley require a #10 ground.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But it did. Maybe they stopped it, but it did.

Why can't they do that anyway? I've seen many instructions for many things that give a part # for a specific manufacturer part to use and that's all.
I just don't think that UL would list a tub based on a one brand GFCI. It would cause an uproar- I bet a legal one at that.

defears

What is required for the listing and what the instructions require are two completely different things.

To me the listing is what is to be required to be sold.
The instructions are a "get out of jail free card". Require obscure crap to pass blame and liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.