Hot tub - to be or not to be, that is the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I installed my 1,000th hot tub today. Okay, maybe not but it seems like it. However, this one failed inspection. It was not a traditional hot tub, it was an air blower, with no heaters. The motor did not come with a bonding lug or screw, but is still a motor. The motor is very small im sure, but I would venture to say its not a 1/4 HP motor. Why would this AHJ fail my installation of just an air blower for not having bonding? Is he mistaken? Is this tub motor not listed perhaps? Does anyone have experience with just a blower? I do not believe bonding is required for just a blower, but am I wrong? Thanks for any help.

[ June 30, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

electricmanscott

Re: Hot tub - to be or not to be, that is the question?

I'd like to see some specs on this. got a manufacturer link? I am guessing this is not a "Hot tub" in the ususal sense because there is no filtration system and I would suspect the water would get pretty nasty just sitting there. These tubs are becomming more common but I have yet to deal with one. What article did the inspector cite for the violation?

jwelectric

Spa or Hot Tub. A hydromassage pool, or tub for recreational or therapeutic use, not located in health care facilities, designed for immersion of users, and usually having a filter, heater, and motor-driven blower. It may be installed indoors or outdoors, on the ground or supporting structure, or in the ground or supporting structure. Generally, a spa or hot tub is not designed or intended to have its contents drained or discharged after each use.

pay close attention to the word in bold
:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Bonding is required in some way regardless of whether the thing is a hot tub or just a blower. If the motor is metal cased, whould it not require an EGC of some kind?

unless the motor is double insulated i suppose.

aelectricalman

The motor is actually plastic cased. I assumed all motors, Metal or plastic where required to have bonding. Since the motor does not provide bonding lug, how do I fix the problem. The inspector didnt site a reference, just that all are required to be bonded. i think i am as confused as he might me.

jwelectric

680.26 (B) (4) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors and metal parts of equipment associated with pool covers, including electric motors, shall be bonded. Accessible metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non?current-carrying metal parts shall not be bonded by a direct connection to the equipotential bonding grid. The means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non?current carrying metal parts shall be an equipment grounding conductor run with the power-supply conductors in the case of motors supplied with a flexible cord, or a grounding terminal in the case of motors intended for permanent connection.

680.26 (B) (4) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors and metal parts of equipment associated with pool covers, including electric motors, shall be bonded. Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non?current-carrying metal parts shall not be bonded.
Where a double-insulated water-pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor that is of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the motor vicinity. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit.

Does this help?
:)

electricmanscott

Here is how would handle this. Use a metal box for the pump receptacle, mount a lug to the out side of it, run a bonding jumper to the water lines and any other metal requiring bonding, done. Leave the motor alone. I am still not convinced of the need to bond anything with this type of tub. Would this be a "Hydro massage tub"? If so are the any "metal piping systems, and grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water". I would guess not. How about the tub manufacturer? Got a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.