Hot tub Wiring

Occupation
Engineer
I'm wiring in a hot tub that requires two separate circuits, a 20A and 30A. Both are GFCI breakers. The wiring schematic only calls for one neutral wire from the hot tub to the 30A circuit. Why is there no neutral wire for the 20A GFCI? There's no GFCI protection without the neutral going to the 20A circuit, correct? And if I split the neutral between the 2 circuits, they would trip all of the time, correct?

I've included a screenshot of the schematic below:
Wiring Schematic

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The load is apparently a line to line load and does not require a neutral. The load side neutral is not required for the GFCI to function. It is still summing the current on all of the conductors and looking for a "zero" sum. It does not matter if there in no possible current on one of the three conductors that passes though the current transformer.
Connecting load side neutrals on a GFCI breaker will cause both breakers to trip.
Wire this equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's wiring diagram.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But also, some brands of 2 pole GFCI breakers need the neutral pigtail connected in order to power up their internal electronics. I know for sure that Square D QO do not, but I’ve seen others that do (can’t remember which ones).

nizak

I'm wiring in a hot tub that requires two separate circuits, a 20A and 30A. Both are GFCI breakers. The wiring schematic only calls for one neutral wire from the hot tub to the 30A circuit. Why is there no neutral wire for the 20A GFCI? There's no GFCI protection without the neutral going to the 20A circuit, correct? And if I split the neutral between the 2 circuits, they would trip all of the time, correct?

I've included a screenshot of the schematic below:
Wiring Schematic
I just installed a hot tub last week with the same scenario.

I had a 50A GFCI disconnect already mounted and wired.

The tub came and it had its own disconnect with breakers included.

Had to remove what I put in and start over.

I thought it odd as well

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
I just installed a hot tub last week with the same scenario.

I had a 50A GFCI disconnect already mounted and wired.

The tub came and it had its own disconnect with breakers included.

Had to remove what I put in and start over.

I thought it odd as well
Just have your electrician follow the manufacturer’s diagram. I’ve done a dozen or so tubs with this configuration and there’s never been a problem.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
But also, some brands of 2 pole GFCI breakers need the neutral pigtail connected in order to power up their internal electronics. I know for sure that Square D QO do not, but I’ve seen others that do (can’t remember which ones).
Never saw a 2-pole GFCI of any brand that didn't require the breaker's neutral to be connected.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That is not true. The QO260GFI breaker does not have a load neutral connection but does have and require a line neutral connection. There would be no reason for the neutral pigtail if the breaker did not require a neutral.