hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

caosesvida

680.25 B. 2 Separate buildings , where insatlled a separate equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated. I am thinking #2 urd with #4 rr, direct burial aluminum to a subpanel in the mechanical room, nar the tub, then from the a sub panel to the hot tub, with a 40 amp gfci 2 pole. There will be a 120 load, I will run 4 wires all copper to the hot tub in conduit (non- metallic) to the junction box.. Am I ok with this setup? the hot tub requires a 40 amp circuit. I don't do residential very much, or hot tubs, this is a residential situation. Not sure if I am missing something. All conduit to the hot tub, but to the sub panel I can use urd 24" deep. This would cover the insulated grounding conductor. thanks for any help.

luke warmwater

Re: hot tub

Sounds pretty basic.
What size breaker are you fusing the #2 with?
Were you planning on driving a ground rod for the 'sub panel'?
Are you installing a disconnect for the tub?
Read the manufacture directions, most will require a full sized ground wire from the panel or else void warranty.

akgrid

cao, Keep in mind the mex load rating from where you bring your feeders from if it is from a residence with a full loaded service the meter may not be able to support an additional 40a load!!

good electricians are always there to check your shorts :D

caosesvida

yes with the ground rod, I havn't seen the job yet got the info over the phone doing it for a friend. Not sure if the disconnect is on the hot tub or not,otherwise disconnect withing 5' readily accessible. One receptacle more that 5' and not more than 10' gfci. I am ok with running aluminum to the sub panel at the separate building and then making the #8 copper to the hot tub?

caosesvida

I am going with a 90 amp 2pole with the #2. I am coming from a 100 amp subpanel from a 200 amp service. The service is not loaded heavily. Also this hot tub will be on a ground deck next to an above ground swimming pool. Is there any distance requirements for the disconnect for the hot tub from the swimming pool. 10' ?

[ March 06, 2004, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: caosesvida ]

Status
Not open for further replies.