Hot Water Heater Disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

frogneck77 said:
Anyone hear of a code requirement for a disconnect on a hot water heater?
You betcha. Within sight and within 50 feet. Sometimes the breaker in the panel is sufficiently close to qualify.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
Yeh, its an appliance... :grin: And its not a hot water heater, if the water is already hot then there is no need to heat it.. :) sorry I couldn't resist...
Sure you could, you just didn't;)

frogneck77

stickboy1375 said:
Yeh, its an appliance... :grin: And its not a hot water heater, if the water is already hot then there is no need to heat it.. :) sorry I couldn't resist...
I knew I would get the usual treatment for asking a dumb question, but I couldnt help it. In the 13 years Ive been wiring houses Ive never had to install a disconnect on a Cold water heater.Conversing on this forum helps me take my brain out of autopilot quite often-Thanks for the laughs and all the great info-I really respect all of your opinions,the occasional spark of wit is entertaining as well

stickboy1375

frogneck77 said:
I knew I would get the usual treatment for asking a dumb question, but I couldnt help it. In the 13 years Ive been wiring houses Ive never had to install a disconnect on a Cold water heater.Conversing on this forum helps me take my brain out of autopilot quite often-Thanks for the laughs and all the great info-I really respect all of your opinions,the occasional spark of wit is entertaining as well

I'm not smarter than anyone else, and never feel a question is a dumb one...

frogneck77

Ill admit it, Im one of those guys who doesnt pull the code book out very often.I still reference the 2005 in a pinch because thats what I took my E1 and E2 tests on. I come on to this forum to brush up on code and ask questions about anything that comes up in my day I think you guys can help me with. You guys rarely disappoint,w/info and laughs
Bill

stickboy1375

Minuteman said:
Some never miss an opportunity to crack wise.

I like breaker locks a whole lot better than installing a small disconnect (Or I have seen some install a 3 wire dryer outlet).

I highly doubt a cord on a water heater is legal...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
stickboy1375 said:
but what do I know?

We all what to know the answer to that question. :grin:

I would bet anything it is an electric water heater- So there you at least know as much as I do and for your sake I hope you know more.:grin:

mdshunk

Minuteman said:
(Or I have seen some install a 3 wire dryer outlet).
I've seen that too, but that's not legal. A 3-wire dryer rec is 120/240 ungrounded, and for a water heater you'd need a rec for 240 grounded.

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I've seen that too, but that's not legal. A 3-wire dryer rec is 120/240 ungrounded, and for a water heater you'd need a rec for 240 grounded.

I do not undestand.

What code would you cite?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
mdshunk said:

Marc, what difference would that make. Isn't the 3 wire dryer ground terminal grounded to the metal of the receptacle?

stickboy1375

mdshunk said:

I would go with that the Water heater is not listed to be cord and plug connected... :wink:

422.16 Flexible Cords.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
I would go with that the Water heater is not listed to be cord and plug connected... :wink:

422.16 Flexible Cords.

I don't think Marc was talking 422.16.

BTW are you sure they are not listed for that, or like me you just never did it that way?

Insta-hots are solder in place and have cords. :smile:

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:
Marc, what difference would that make. Isn't the 3 wire dryer ground terminal grounded to the metal of the receptacle?

Technically, it is for the grounded conductor, not the grounding.

This is for 120/240:
nema_10-30p.gif

This is for 240:
nema_6-30p.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.