Hot Water Heaters Disconnect Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

By code, do I need to install a local disconnect switch for a 240v Electric Hot Water Heater?

OK, since you're new here, I'll let you in on The Electricians' Biggest Secret: You don't need to heat hot water. :grin:
Anyway, welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

An electric water heater would be an appliance. Part III of Article 422 gives us the requirements for disconnecting means for appliances.

I agree with dcspector, most likely you can use 422.31(B) and use a breaker lock as the disconnecting means.

Chris

jeffro10

OK. You got me. Sorry I mis-spoke.

Some townships in NJ are making the plumber install a local disconnect when replacing the water heater. Why should a disconnect be installed if a breaker lock will suffice?

raider1

Staff member
Are they specifically prohibiting the use of a breaker lock or are they just stating that a disconnecting means is required?

Chris

jeffro10

I was traveling around installing the local disconnects until i discovered 422.31.B. What do you do, leave the breaker lock installed permanatly or have the plumber carry them on his truck? Is the purpose of a disconnecting means for the plumber installing the new unit or the homeowner after the plumber leaves?

480sparky

If you've got a local code, unless we know where you are and someone here knows those codes, we won't be able to help you much.

raider1

Staff member
What do you do, leave the breaker lock installed permanatly

You need to leave the provisions for adding the lock on the breaker on the panel. Here is what the last sentence of 422.31(B) states:

The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

My answer is based on the 2008 NEC.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
OK. You got me. Sorry I mis-spoke.

Some townships in NJ are making the plumber install a local disconnect when replacing the water heater. Why should a disconnect be installed if a breaker lock will suffice?

A breaker lock is sufficient according to the NEC. New Jersey has no local amendments but they do often have misinterpretation. :rolleyes:

They should require a disconnect or a breaker locking device.

jeffro10

Absolutley! I agree that every township in NJ is completely different. I told the plumber just to call the local inspector before he does the project to see exactly what is required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the plumber is hiring an electrician to install the disconnect I wouldn't complain about not using a breaker lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.