Hotbox vs Blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

Like it has been said here plenty, if you are trying to stay in front of a bunch of block installers or some other type of mason crew, there is nothing as useful as a hot box. You can get the pipe warmed up and then pull it out and use it when ready, and leave a half dozen in the box waiting for their turn.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I use a roofing type flamethrower torch, with a built in igniter. The flame is not as hot as the mapp gas torch I use for 1/2 or 3/4, but a whole lot more btu's. I dont hardly ever scorch the pipe with it. I can turn 2"into a wet noode in about 1 minute.

ultramegabob

norcal said:
Is it true that the blanket has a limited life in comparison to a hot box? Had heard that but would like it know if it's a fable or not.

Im sure a box is more durable, but I have never seen a blanket go bad myself, and it probably has alot to do with who is using/abusing them.

hillbilly

ultramegabob said:
I have bent a saddle in a stick of 2" pvc with a heat gun, it takes a while, but it can be done.

I once used a heat gun to bend a 45 in a 2 1/2" sch. 80 riser.
It took a while.
You have to stay out of or block the wind to do this:smile:.

I'm not sure how this relates to the second sentence of 352.24:rolleyes: .

steve

IMO the box is the way to go. As others have stated the primary benefit of the blanket is its flexibility w/ pipe that is installed but for production the box is the way to go. I worked for a company that did fueling stations and car washes as about 70% of their business (translation- lots and lots of PVC). Every truck had a hot box on it but I don't think I saw a blanket for the 2 years I worked there. It has been my experiece that blankets are more prone to malfunction. The heat gun is also a great tool for pipe that is in place. I have heated 3" w/ it to influence it around a brick course that was protruding from the rest of the wall. I placed a piece of sheet metal (scrap from the tin knocker) behind it to help contain the heat and so it would reflect on the back side of the pipe.

bbaumer

Warning: Don't put your pipe in the hotbox, decide you probably should get a pair of gloves and leave it unattended. When you return to the box only a a minute later the pipe will be melted and smoking badly and your boss won't be happy. Even if you use the excuse it was your first time bending PVC. You will also be ribbed about it for a long time. :)

220/221

I had a blanket years ago. It worked well but only worked for a few weeks.

I have a hotbox but never really use it. I generally do my own trenching so manufactured fittings are the way to go. You can cut a 90 to any degree bend you want. Just heat up the cut end with a torch if it is out of round.....and don't let an anal retentive inspector see you do it.

im mainly wanting to save on fittings for 2-1/2"-4". are the plugs really needed, or are there other tricks?

In the field, time is money. Buy the 90's

If you do a lot of work you could set up and make them at home or in your warehouse. I made a bunch of 90's in the oven one time. The wife wasn't too happy but it worked well. You will need a bigger oven for the 2 1/2 to 4" stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.