Hotel Guest Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARF

A small hotel is requesting duplex outlets be added for a 800w microwave and 300w undercounter refrigerator in each room.
I seem to recall that a NEC .75 demand factor can be applied to a circuit serving 4 appliances or more. If I'm correct we can use a single dedicated circuit for every 2 rooms.
Anyone see a problem/alternative ?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
You may be thinking of 220.53, but that 75% applies to appliances on the same feeder or service, not branch circuits. And it only applies to dwelling units. Your hotel room probably doesn't meet the definition of dwelling unit.

So I'd say you can't do what you suggest.

ARF

Hotel Guest Room

You may be thinking of 220.53, but that 75% applies to appliances on the same feeder or service, not branch circuits. And it only applies to dwelling units. Your hotel room probably doesn't meet the definition of dwelling unit.

So I'd say you can't do what you suggest.

David thanks. 220.14(J) grouped dwelling units and hotel rooms together and I thought it may have provided a different interpretation. Microwaves and refrigerators are not considered continuous loads and I wouldn't expect them to be operating simultaneously for any extended time period.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A small hotel is requesting duplex outlets be added for a 800w microwave and 300w undercounter refrigerator in each room.
I seem to recall that a NEC .75 demand factor can be applied to a circuit serving 4 appliances or more. If I'm correct we can use a single dedicated circuit for every 2 rooms.
Anyone see a problem/alternative ?

You will have 2200W (did you really mean VA) if all four come on simultaneously or about 19A if it really is VA.

I agree they are not continuous loads so a 20A circuit should be OK.

If this is really wattage, I think your current draw will exceed 20A if they all come on at the same time and it will happen. Probably won't blow the CB, but it will exceed 20A.

Status
Not open for further replies.