Hotel renovation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I am bidding a hotel remove and restore of 321 vanity lights, 360 wall corridor sconces and 60 other sconce. All lights appear to be supported by a standard box mount from behind. I have to remove each light and add a temporary work light until the rooms are renovated and then return for another trip to add the new light fixture. There are 741 fixtures in all and they will be done in groups of 50 rooms at a time. Does anyone have any idea of how much time each fixture should take to remove and restore, given the time line and steps necessary to complete the task. I figure about 30 minutes. Just want some opinions. Thanks.

stickboy1375

aelectricalman said:
I am bidding a hotel remove and restore of 321 vanity lights, 360 wall corridor sconces and 60 other sconce. All lights appear to be supported by a standard box mount from behind. I have to remove each light and add a temporary work light until the rooms are renovated and then return for another trip to add the new light fixture. There are 741 fixtures in all and they will be done in groups of 50 rooms at a time. Does anyone have any idea of how much time each fixture should take to remove and restore, given the time line and steps necessary to complete the task. I figure about 30 minutes. Just want some opinions. Thanks.

All depends on the fixture, I can put up a home depot fixture in about 5 minutes, where some fancy thing can take 1 hour... Hopefully you get to see the specs on the new fixture.

JohnJ0906

ItsHot said:
30 minutes seems a little long? Does that include a 15 minute break with each fixture?:D

Unpacking fixture
Cleaning up trash
Moving from unit to unit
Junk fixtures
Field modifications
Unforeseen conditions

How many stories is the building?
Where are the fixtures being stored?
Handling of the fixtures and then the disposal of the trash.
Insurance
Other overhead

You have not even installed the fixture yet...

Now start your time.

P.S.
It is my understanding from speaking with other ECs that hotels/motels are slow to pay. Another consideration when pricing or even thinking of taking a job.

Most ECs are electricians and not business men. If you are in the business to make a living so be it. If you are in the business to make some money, you will need to proceed with a price that allows that to happen.

Last edited:

ultramegabob

does restore mean replace, or are you installing a new differnt fixture? it sounds like your removing an old fixture, installing a temp socket or keyless lamp holder, and then returning to re-istall fixture or new fixture at a later date. if this is the case, 30 minutes is cutting it close, add a little padding for the unexpected problems and hauling this stuff back and forth. Make sure to buy yourself a tool/parts cart (Harbor Freight has them cheap) and a large trashcan on wheels and add that in to the job cost (sometimes the customer has trash carts you can borrow, but I like to supply my own equipment for a large job)

Last edited:

Bob Kraemer

I would say your looking at .8 to 1 hour per fixture. By the time you remove a fixture, install temp light, remove temp light, unpackage & install fixture, hunt down missing parts, install bulbs, material procurement, staging, trash removal, replace burnt out temp bulbs and probably a few other things I forgot.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Have you any samples of the new fixtures to be installed? I worked in one hotel where one single wall sconce took 15 minutes just to unpack and assemble, and they all required a long-shaft holding screwdriver for the final installation. Hotel designers have a knack for finding the wierdest, most difficult to install things...

480sparky

Access to each room must be considered. Are they old-fashioned metal keys, or new-fangled card readers? Will you be given a key? Will the rooms be left unlocked & open, and if a door shuts, you gotta go find someone with a key? Are there others working in the same area that you need to climb over?

satcom

ItsHot said:
30 minutes seems a little long? Does that include a 15 minute break with each fixture?:D

If an employee is doing the job then the longer times will most likely apply, one of our local EC's is still recovering from a hotel fixture job he did last year, one of those fast talking bioler room maint company pitch men, told his they have a guy that does the fixtures 3 minutes a piece, that is when he should of declined, and why was he talking to this guy is he had someone to do it cheaper, you just have to ask, these hotels have slick management companies look for someone to do the work cheap, then they bill out an outragous price to the hotel management. Just be carefull and check you times before you get tied up in a loosing deal.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I gotta go with the masses here. 15 minutes per for the first trip, and 45 minutes per for the second. 20 and 40 if you prefer.

You working hot, or do you need to supply temp lighting to install the temp lighting?

Added: Don't forget you've gotta go buy all those rubber sockets and bulbs first.

Last edited:
electric38

electric38

Make sure all is grounded properly if it is an older establishment. This could be a big problem.
Use about a 5% labor adder for each floor above the first. Exclude patching painting etc.
Exclude repair on defective existing assemblies....
in fact, exclude bringing up to code any other parts of the electrical system.
Exclude any engineering, as the fixtures installed may have a different significant wattage.
Exclude energy code compliance if applicable.
Find out if the work will be performed during regular or after hours. Adjust your bid accordingly.

nizak

Very many good points brought to the table.Overlooking just one small consideration on a job this size can cause big problems. To me 1/hr seems like a realistic time that you could turn a buck on if you get all your ducks in a row that have been mentioned. Usually the "specific task" is what we tend to focus the most on and forget most all the incidentals that really make up the entire job.

Status
Not open for further replies.