house electric rough in

Status
Not open for further replies.
after electric inspection [ rough in ] a few days later someone deciedes to
remove most of wire.
who is responsible for repairs ??
homeowner said he would inform his insurance co.
the understanding i got was he would pay
i thought general contractor had insurance on building

mdshunk

Doesn't matter to me who pays for it, but it won't be me. Once it's on site, it's not mine anymore. After it's installed, it's double-definitely not mine anymore. Somebody else can deal with it and let me know how they make out. :cool:

480sparky

ss electric said:
after electric inspection [ rough in ] a few days later someone deciedes to
remove most of wire.
who is responsible for repairs ??
homeowner said he would inform his insurance co.
the understanding i got was he would pay
i thought general contractor had insurance on building

Someone is. Whoever it is.
Your contract (you do have one, don't you?!?!?) is with the GC, not the insurance company.
It it's a case of theft, then what they stole is real estate, not personal property. Once it's installed, you've done your job. You should get paid. If the GC doesn't have insurance for this, that's his problem, not yours.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What if you have a direct contract with the HO.
In ca you need to provide the HO the name of the insurance co.

mdshunk

Sierrasparky said:
What if you have a direct contract with the HO.
In ca you need to provide the HO the name of the insurance co.
What insurance company? Maybe your GL policy, but no electrical contractor insures goods he's already installed. They don't belong to him anymore. About the only thing you might insure is the crap piled up in your job trailer on bigger work. The EC is really out of the loop in this case. The most he can do is say "sorry about your luck" and "would you like an estimate for the insurance company?".

scwirenut

no bank would lend money without proper insurance in place, your gc has builders risk im sure, it has a high deductible usually ($5000) the gc will most likely just pay it out of his pocket to keep his rates down...I had this happen to 5 houses in a row in a subdivision, all have seperate deductibles...3 of them had sheetrock up

mdshunk

scwirenut said:
no bank would lend money without proper insurance in place, your gc has builders risk im sure, it has a high deductible usually ($5000) the gc will most likely just pay it out of his pocket to keep his rates down...I had this happen to 5 houses in a row in a subdivision, all have seperate deductibles...3 of them had sheetrock up
So why would that ever be the EC's problem? Seriously, a guy can way overthink this. Unless you want to play helpful hero for some weird reason, it's best to just ignore the whole thing. The EC has no dog in that hunt.

ultramegabob

I feel that once the building is enclosed and has windows and doors that can lock, any material on the jobsite belongs to the whoever the contract is with, and any labor to repair or replace materials that are stolen or vandalized once installed is going to be a change order. If it was deliverd and you did the work, you held up to your end of the contract, it is thier responsibility for securing the jobsite not yours. on the other hand, if you leave a 1000 spool of romex in a garage with no door and you go to lunch and it gets stolen, that is negligence on your part, just my opinion.....

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
on the other hand, if you leave a 1000 spool of romex in a garage with no door and you go to lunch and it gets stolen, that is negligence on your part, just my opinion.....
Yeah, that's why it's best to hide that spool of romex behind the generator and a big can of gas so they won't notice the romex when driving by. :D

480sparky

I think what the OP needs to understand is that once it's installed, it's not yours any more.

The GC may claim he's not repsonsible for it, becuase he hasn't paid you for it, but whether or not you've been paid for it has no bearing.

You were hired to install it. You did. Now the GC needs to pony up and pay you. What he does with the loss is his business.

Do you get paid if the house burned down after your rough? Yes.... It's on the GC. Do you get paid if a semi-tractor/trailer rig rammed into the house and totaled it? Yes, it's on the GC. Do you get paid if a tornado, hurricane or flood comes along and carries the whole house two states away? Yes, it's on the GC. So why should having a metal theif come along be any different?

ultramegabob said:
I feel that once the building is enclosed and has windows and doors that can lock, any material on the jobsite belongs to the whoever the contract is with, and any labor to repair or replace materials that are stolen or vandalized once installed is going to be a change order. If it was deliverd and you did the work, you held up to your end of the contract, it is thier responsibility for securing the jobsite not yours. on the other hand, if you leave a 1000 spool of romex in a garage with no door and you go to lunch and it gets stolen, that is negligence on your part, just my opinion.....

Not quite. If it's not installed, it yours, and your responsibility, whether the job site is secured or not.

Last edited:

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Not quite. If it's not installed, it yours, and your responsibility, whether the job site is secured or not.
I used to think that until K-Mart filed for bankruptcy while I was doing work for them. I got ripped off for 70K worth of material that was delivered to the job but not installed, since the law apparently says it's theirs if it's on site. It took almost 2 months to get my own gang boxes of tools back.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
I used to think that until K-Mart filed for bankruptcy while I was doing work for them. I got ripped off for 70K worth of material that was delivered to the job but not installed, since the law apparently says it's theirs if it's on site. It took almost 2 months to get my own gang boxes of tools back.

The 'law' is one thing. "Insurance" is a whole other world.

We once had an entire truck load of shingles disappear overnight from a large apartment job site, that had a security guard on the premises. In the morning, the architect called the security guard, just to verify that he had been on site. He, of course, said he was. Then the architect called the security company and asked for his sizeable check. The Security Company was pretty mad, but once the situation was explained, and the imminent threat to whatever property they had backing their insurance was made, the check was on site within an hour.

In your case, if it's on site (and being used on their job), it's theirs. Assuming reasonable security (doors, windows, etc.) and lack of cerebral flatulence. You might want to put the GC and HO in the house together and let them fight it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.