House should be condemned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb

iwire said:
Why is it any of our bussiness.

I really find it disturbing that an adult can not just be left alone.

He does not live like we do.....we must do something about it.:roll:
Yes,if that person is of sound mind and for whatever reason they choose to live like this it's their business. But, the OP said he felt this person was not of sound mind. Now with that said do WE as part of the human race, with a concise and a Christian concern for our fellow man do you not think we have some obligation? I agree with the OP I would not have reconnected for safety sake. Would I have set a temp pole for some recp. and light, yes. Informed persons having control of situations like this,yes. Follow up to find the outcome of what was or if anything was going to be done,yes. It's second nature for us that work every day, to set in our homes and see something like this and say so what, its of no concern to me let them live however they want. IMO the op did the right thing.

The issue with this type of situation is not necessarily in the hands of the homeowner.

Any EMERGENCY RESPONDER who may be called to the house for whatever reason is trained to try and help that person. Because of the disrepair and potential DEATH TRAP for the responders, there is culpability toward the person who does nothing to try to rectify the situation once it has been detected.

I absolutely sympathize with this land/homeowner. Yet as I have learned since becoming an inspector, there is a responsibility that goes past just protecting the homeowner's rights.

Point in case:
A fireman (near where I live) in his 40s with a family at home, died yesterday trying to save the lives of the people who inadvertantly set a fire in their own home. There was not intent to hurt anyone by the homeowner/inhabitants, yet that EMERGENCY RESPONDER died doing what he was trained to do...save people from themselves.

Last edited:

EBFD6

Pierre C Belarge said:
The issue with this type of situation is not necessarily in the hands of the homeowner.

Any EMERGENCY RESPONDER who may be called to the house for whatever reason is trained to try and help that person. Because of the disrepair and potential DEATH TRAP for the responders, there is culpability toward the person who does nothing to try to rectify the situation once it has been detected.

I absolutely sympathize with this land/homeowner. Yet as I have learned since becoming an inspector, there is a responsibility that goes past just protecting the homeowner's rights.

Point in case:
A fireman (near where I live) in his 40s with a family at home, died yesterday trying to save the lives of the people who inadvertantly set a fire in their own home. There was not intent to hurt anyone by the homeowner/inhabitants, yet that EMERGENCY RESPONDER died doing what he was trained to do...save people from themselves.

As an EMT (mandated reporter) I would be required to file paperwork and report this to the state as elder neglect, allowing some one to live in unsanitary/dangerous conditions. Mandated reporters ( EMTs, Police, School officials, and others) are legally required to report elder abuse and neglect, child abuse and neglect, and domestic abuse to the department of social services , and could face serious cosequences if they don't.

As a firefighter I would hope that anyone who came upon this type of situation would take the same action as the OP, and not make me risk my life to go into this structure and pull out a 70 year old man trying to live the "american dream of freedom". We need to remember that this isn't just a case of letting someone live however they want, there are building codes, health codes, and fire codes for a reason. To protect the public at large, and in cases like this specifically emergency workers.

satcom

EBFD6 said:
As an EMT (mandated reporter) I would be required to file paperwork and report this to the state as elder neglect, allowing some one to live in unsanitary/dangerous conditions. Mandated reporters ( EMTs, Police, School officials, and others) are legally required to report elder abuse and neglect, child abuse and neglect, and domestic abuse to the department of social services , and could face serious cosequences if they don't.

As a firefighter I would hope that anyone who came upon this type of situation would take the same action as the OP, and not make me risk my life to go into this structure and pull out a 70 year old man trying to live the "american dream of freedom". We need to remember that this isn't just a case of letting someone live however they want, there are building codes, health codes, and fire codes for a reason. To protect the public at large, and in cases like this specifically emergency workers.

All well and good, what about all the people living under bridges, and in street grates, on in the subway stairwells all over the country, do we go on a round up?

Many people that don't get around much, don't see the real world of homeless.

Minuteman

satcom said:
All well and good, what about all the people living under bridges, and in street grates, on in the subway stairwells all over the country, do we go on a round up?

Many people that don't get around much, don't see the real world of homeless.
If I am called on to repair the damaged electrical service to a bridge, street grate, or in the subway stairwell, and find someone living there in deplorable and unsafe conditions, wanting the power restored. Then, yes, I will report them too.

mdshunk

Minuteman said:
If I am called on to repair the damaged electrical service to a bridge, street grate, or in the subway stairwell, and find someone living there in deplorable and unsafe conditions, wanting the power restored. Then, yes, I will report them too.
That's it!!

I'm reporting you this very minute for reporting people, then I'm putting myself on report.

satcom

Minuteman said:
Okay Marc, you don't like the word "report", but you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Some of the bridge dwellers have microwave ovens, and TV they must have contact with homeless electricians.

They subway dwellers take out fixtures to supply their electrical needs,

How do you estimate a card board box sq ft or unite price?

Does anyone see any of these hazzards, and if you do, do you tell anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.