"Household"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

422.33(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).
Does the term "household electric ranges" describe the equipment, or does it describe the occupancy? For example, if I install my range (that is in my house) in an office building break room, is it a "household electric range", or is it now something else, like "commercial cooking equipment"?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: "Household"

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Does the term "household electric ranges" describe the equipment, or does it describe the occupancy?
I'd say it describes the occopancy. A commercial range in a residence would (should) be okay with the same provisions.

iwire

Staff member

Ryan my take is it is a description of the type of cooking equipment, not the occupancy.

I think it goes back to ULs categories of household or commercial cooking equipment.

mdshunk

I say that it describes the eupiment and not the occupancy. UL 858 is the standard that covers "household electric ranges" specifically by name. This is the closest thing we have to a "definition". It states, in part:

1.1 These requirements cover household cooking equipment that is floor or cabinet supported, wall-mounted, counter mounted, or combinations thereof, rated 600 V or less, for installation in accordance with the National Electrical Code.

1.2 These requirements also cover ventilating hoods that are provided as an integral part of the cooking equipment, or that are separately supported on the building structure but arranged for factory-provided electrical connection to the cooking equipment with which they are intended to be used.

1.3 These requirements do not cover commercial cooking appliances.

ryan_618

I'm in the middle of creating a new book for Mike, and I ran into this, it's starting to drive me crazy. I plan on making a proposal to clarify it (I think this term is too vague), but I would love to have more opinions on it for the time being.

mdshunk

I would say that if you took the typical 30" household type frestanding range and installed it in a commercial occupancy, it didn't suddenly become a commercial range. It is still a household range installed in a commercial occupancy. With all the commercial-like features of high end residential cooking equipment, it would be hard to tell what a definition of "commercial" cooking equipment might be. I'd say that one key factor that does determine a commercial cooking appliance is the blue NSF sticker/seal on commercial equipment.

iwire

Staff member

I agree with mdshunk.

Another thing that makes me feel this way is a few years ago when people started feeling they needed the large high BTU commercial units in their homes the Stuff hit the fan when inspectors picked up on the fact these units where not listed for household use. Issues with clearances to combustible construction etc.

Now you can by what looks like a real commercial unit that is actual listed as a household unit.

Much like the difference between a real Hummer and the H2. :p

[ September 04, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

mdshunk

Thanks to IWire's last response, I think I'm formulating an answer that satisfies me. If the product was investigated under UL197, then it is commercial electric cooking euipment, regardless of it's outward appearance or the occupancy in which it is installed. If it was investigated under UL858, then it is household electric cooking equipment, regardless of it's outward appearance or the occupancy in which it is installed. This is not to say that any type of cooking appliance is necessarily suitable for any occupancy.

pierre

Ryan
UL has 2 distinctions for ranges - Household (KNUR)Page 233 of the 2004 UL White Book and Commercial(KNGT) Page 231.

They are treated in their testing differently. One of the reasons a commercial range should not be installed in a dwelling, is the temperature of the sidewall of the range for commercial is permitted to reach a higher temperature. Another reason is the controls are in a placement that would be too easy for children to reach. There are others as well.

You should probably contact UL for a better (official)explanation than mine.

Good luck with the book!!!

pierre

This thread raises an issue:
In researching the code requirements, the NEC is not the only document we need to look at. There are a load of NFPA standards, UL, ANSI, NEMA, PEARL, and a host of other documents. Not to mention all of the MRLS - more restrictive local standards.

What else do we have to do while waiting for football? :D

bphgravity

The #5 note to Table 220.19 (220.55-2005) seems to indicate the name "household cooking appliance" identifies the appliance itself and not the occupancy.

jimwalker

not sure where your headed with this.Are you asking if a commercial range can be used in residential or a residential range used in commercial ? The residential range should be fine in a commercial use. In a breake room why not ? What would be differant in its use ?

mdshunk

He might be wondering if a cord and plug behind a residential type electric range in a commercial occupancy is an acceptable disconnect means.

ryan_618

I agree with most of you, in that I think the code is addressing the appliance, not the occupancy. I plan on talking with UL on this just to be certain, but I sure do appreciate all of your great responses.

Good luck with the book!!!
Thanks Pierre. I just got done with my part of our new residential book, which was basically deciding what to include and what to throw out. I am now doing the same thing with commercial. I think they will both turn out well. Thanks again. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by mdshunk:
He might be wondering if a cord and plug behind a residential type electric range in a commercial occupancy is an acceptable disconnect means.
That's the basis for my response, which is obviously in the minority here. The means of disconnect (which is part of the "installation", which is, to me, part of the occupancy) is the real subject, and not the intended use of the appliance.

I would have difficulty believing that, during a residential final inspection, an inspector would look for the plug and cord (in lieu of a different disconnect means), be told "But it's a commercial range", and then say "Oh, never mind then."

Status
Not open for further replies.