How critical should an AHJ be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I happened to be out walking today near my home and went past some 4 unit residential housing that is being put up. The units were not secured so I stepped into one and the first thing I see posted is the electrical rough in approval. Taking only a few minutes I could see a number of code violations that could have easily been avoided. (1) box fill w/pvc nail on's(mainly 2 gang's with 2 or more over box fill), NM cables improperly stapled(2 round 14/3 secured with half inch stapleles-not rated) NM stapled as close as 3/4 to stud edge, bored holes within 3/4 stud edge with no drive plates, home runs into panel fastened 3 feet from box and the list goes on. Are these types of items something that is usually overlooked because they are petty in nature? I am not perfect, but you would never find any of this type of work on my jobs because we follow the code.

MarkyMarkNC

The only violation on your list that is petty, IMO, is the 14-3's stapled with non-listed staples. The rest are legitimate violations in my neck of the woods.

mccayry

All the inspectors I deal with have certain things that they really look for. One of them is really big on box fill so I make sure that it is all correct before he comes. There is no way they can catch everything. I had one get on me the other day, he said he likes to see 2 grnd rods. He also said he wants to see the ground rod driven about 36" from the overhang.

bphgravity

It shouldn't matter what an inspector "misses" or doesn't enforce. Installations are required to meet the provisions of the code at a minimum. By intentionally violating the code becuase the local inspector doesn't require something doesn't make it okay. In fact, you are ultimately responsible for the work you perform, not the inspector.

If you don't believe me, call a lawyer and ask them if it is okay to break a law just becuase the local ahj doesn't "make you" follow it. Put it this way. If one particular police officer overlooks the fact that you are driving 5 miles over the speed limit doesn't mean the next one will some time in the future...

nizak

I feel to some extent that sloppy work promotes lower prices. With so many EC's(especially in my area) lowballing the next guy to get the job they can't afford to spend even the few extra minutes it takes to do something correctly. Even just taking a minute and laying out a switching scenario that may reduce wire fill in the box is too much to ask. I even once had a so called electrician tell me that a 4 way switch leg would not work because I didn't have certain wires in certain boxes, He only knew one way to do it and always ended up with a ton of conductors at one point.

G._S._Ohm

'How critical should an AHJ be?'

Just enough so that the software that fire insurance companies use
to flag unusually high rates of claims filed
do not indicate that this jurisdiction has a problem.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
All the inspectors I deal with have certain things that they really look for. One of them is really big on box fill so I make sure that it is all correct before he comes. There is no way they can catch everything. I had one get on me the other day, he said he likes to see 2 grnd rods. He also said he wants to see the ground rod driven about 36" from the overhang.

How would you feel about him liking to see 3 rods? There is still no requirement to have any at all.

And no requirement at all that they be outside the overhang.

nizak

If there is no city water(metallic piping) or well casing(metallic piping) 2 ground rods has always been the norm in this area for as long as I can remember.Never had an inspector ask for a ground ring, or a plate always just drive 2 5/8x8 and that's it. In the past 15 years I've only had one inspector ever check for resistance of 25 Ohms or less he told me the meter he was using cost $2200.00 I said have at it, it's nothing I own.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If there is no city water(metallic piping) or well casing(metallic piping) 2 ground rods has always been the norm in this area for as long as I can remember.Never had an inspector ask for a ground ring, or a plate always just drive 2 5/8x8 and that's it. In the past 15 years I've only had one inspector ever check for resistance of 25 Ohms or less he told me the meter he was using cost $2200.00 I said have at it, it's nothing I own.

You do realize that in most cases code requires you to have a CEE. It's not the choice of the inspector.

How would you feel about him liking to see 3 rods? There is still no requirement to have any at all.

And no requirement at all that they be outside the overhang.

Local ordinances can pile on top of the Code whatever the local Municipality votes into law. Any of those could be required in certain areas.

The cynical side of me would answer: depends on the thickness of the envelope and the denomination of the bills within.

I would be ticked off if I were to walk a jobsite that my electricians wired and they failed to comply with simple National electric codes. Completely unacceptable on the electrician's and inspector's side. :mad:

Cavie

I happened to be out walking today near my home and went past some 4 unit residential housing that is being put up. The units were not secured so I stepped into one and the first thing I see posted is the electrical rough in approval. Taking only a few minutes I could see a number of code violations that could have easily been avoided. (1) box fill w/pvc nail on's(mainly 2 gang's with 2 or more over box fill), NM cables improperly stapled(2 round 14/3 secured with half inch stapleles-not rated) NM stapled as close as 3/4 to stud edge, bored holes within 3/4 stud edge with no drive plates, home runs into panel fastened 3 feet from box and the list goes on. Are these types of items something that is usually overlooked because they are petty in nature? I am not perfect, but you would never find any of this type of work on my jobs because we follow the code.

What makes you think inspectors are superior beings?? There are good inspectors and not so good inspectors just like the electricians.

Status
Not open for further replies.