How do I fix this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLyons

First let me start off by saying my commercial experience is limited that being said I got a call to a restaurant I've done some prior work in. New drain lines where being added and while the plumbing company was jackhammering up the floor they did a number on some 3/4" emt that was embedded in the concrete. So since the emt was compromised I proceeded to cut it and trace using a locator. I traced the pipes back to a panel which had just as many abandoned circuits as it did one currently live, an absolute mess. The pipes had live and abandon circuits of which I was unable to locate the far end. I cannot say for sure that the circuits actually do something but would rather re-feed them than wait and see what doesn't work. With the floor already cut open and the fact they are concreting everything but a 3' section of the damaged area first thing tomorrow I ran some 1" pvc and stubbed up with rigid on the wall located directly behind the panel. I see there is no ground wire present so I can only assume the pipe was providing it. So how do I junction the emt to the pvc in a floor? is it even possible to be done legally? They are up my butt to get this fixed so they can reopen and will be totally against further damage to the floor.

John120/240

..... I see there is no ground wire present so I can only assume the pipe was providing it. So how do I junction the emt to the pvc in a floor? is it even possible to be done legally? They are up my butt to get this fixed so they can reopen and will be totally against further damage to the floor.

Pull a ground wire with your circuit conductors. Explain that if you don't have time for an appropriate repair in the slab, that over head or wrap around the exterior walls may be the only option.

eHunter

First let me start off by saying my commercial experience is limited that being said I got a call to a restaurant I've done some prior work in. New drain lines where being added and while the plumbing company was jackhammering up the floor they did a number on some 3/4" emt that was embedded in the concrete. So since the emt was compromised I proceeded to cut it and trace using a locator. I traced the pipes back to a panel which had just as many abandoned circuits as it did one currently live, an absolute mess. The pipes had live and abandon circuits of which I was unable to locate the far end. I cannot say for sure that the circuits actually do something but would rather re-feed them than wait and see what doesn't work. With the floor already cut open and the fact they are concreting everything but a 3' section of the damaged area first thing tomorrow I ran some 1" pvc and stubbed up with rigid on the wall located directly behind the panel. I see there is no ground wire present so I can only assume the pipe was providing it. So how do I junction the emt to the pvc in a floor? is it even possible to be done legally? They are up my butt to get this fixed so they can reopen and will be totally against further damage to the floor.

Trace, repair raceways, add EGCs and replace conductors.
No buried splices.
How many raceways affected?
What size raceways?
How many conductors affected?
What size conductors?
Can't you ask the holder of the electrical contractor's license what to do?
Explain to the client that you did not cause this mess and that it will take as long as it takes and to complain to the turd chaser that caused the damage.

Last edited:

RLyons

Trace, repair raceways, add EGCs and replace conductors. This Place is a huge nightmare, tracing would take days possibly weeks of time which the owners do not want to spend. Pulling the wires also does not seem to be an option as the pipes are contain a bit of sewage (*I love my job*)

No buried splices. I understand this but is there a type of floor box in which splices can be performed?
How many raceways affected?
What size raceways? Three 3/4" emt conduits effected.
How many conductors affected? 16 total but as stated some are abandoned.
What size conductors? Mostly #12 couple #10
Can't you ask the holder of the electrical contractor's license what to do? He's on it but has never had to deal with such a snafu.

growler

They are up my butt to get this fixed so they can reopen and will be totally against further damage to the floor.

The first thing to remember is that the restaurant has a problem, you don't.

Someone damaged these conduits so it's their fault and their liability insurance should pay for the repairs. Make sure that you are going to get paid or you still don't have a problem.

There are 3 ea. 3/4" EMT conduits that are full of conductors and sewage and that going to get expensive.

These three 3/4" EMT conduits run from a panel to three junction boxes. Locate these junction boxes because this is where you need to pull the new conductors to.

Pull the conductors out of conduit and use air to blow the sewage out of the conduit ( hopefully while the plumbers are there). Repair the conduit an repull all the live circuits.

Last but not least you charge a small fortune for this work. When you work in sewage you can charge plumbling rates.,

Status
Not open for further replies.