How do I start my own switchboard manufacturing/engineering company?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Here in NY there are quite a few custom switchboard manufacturers and they sell their product to electricians and engineers.

I think a switchboard is not really all that complicated in theory and studying the UL rules to make one wouldn't be all too difficult but would be time-consuming to start out.

But how does one even start this company? Obviously we would have to design the first switchboard using CAD software and then there's the manufacturing of it plus getting it UL listed.

Does anyone have any experience here with this? Anybody here want to provide any insight? There is a huuuuge market for this especially how there are 40-50 week lead times due to more demand and less supply.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I don't know a thing about it. But I think it would cost a fortune to get it through UL not to mention liability concerns
Cost is definitely a barrier. I can start any company if I had millions of dollars. Liability is part of the game, and I am willing to take it. A lot in life has risk.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One reason lead times are too long, is the shortage and lead times switchboard components like molded case breakers. Have you reached out to the component companies for pricing and availability?

How do you plan to get your products accepted by specifying engineers and AHJs?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
One reason lead times are too long, is the shortage and lead times switchboard components like molded case breakers. Have you reached out to the component companies for pricing and availability?

Marketing is easy and if I get it UL listed, then I presume AHJ automatically wouldn't have a problem with it

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
You definitely have the "Pioneering Spirit" that this country is founded on. My advise is never give up and exclude anyone that says it can't be done.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First thing you need to do is to go out and hire someone who has experience with designing and building switchboards. They would know if the ins and outs of listing's, raw materials, etc.

Here in NY there are quite a few custom switchboard manufacturers and they sell their product to electricians and engineers.

I have a few questions. How do they handle listing? Does it come listed or do they do a field evaluation? Where breakers are used, I assume they are speced to use one of the big fours' breakers? I've only come across one non Big four switchboard and that was IEM. They used GE breakers.

ron

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
UL has a listing for switchboards that is similar to what they do for industrial control panels. You can do whatever you want as long as you follow the rules in the standard. If you want to do something else testing is required.

Your best bet is to buy a copy of the standard and have your engineers spend a few months reading and digesting it.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I have a few questions. How do they handle listing? Does it come listed or do they do a field evaluation? Where breakers are used, I assume they are speced to use one of the big fours' breakers? I've only come across one non Big four switchboard and that was IEM. They used GE breakers.
Good questions, I have no idea how they become UL listed when they leave the factory, especially custom made switchboards.

Some NYC switchboard manufacturers here just design their own switchboards and implement their fusible switches and circuit breakers from other manufacturers

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Good questions, I have no idea how they become UL listed when they leave the factory, especially custom made switchboards.

Some NYC switchboard manufacturers here just design their own switchboards and implement their fusible switches and circuit breakers from other manufacturers
They become ul listed at the factory, under the UL program for such things. Just like industrial control panels and mccs.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer

This is the key. Your only going to provide value if you overcome the lead times, if your waiting for 800A breakers or whatever like the big players then your likely just going to have some cost benefit to sell.

arnoldtailor

Occupation
pump maintenance

I think a switchboard is not really all that complicated in theory and studying the UL rules to make one wouldn't be all too difficult but would be time-consuming to start out.

But how does one even start this company? Obviously we would have to design the first switchboard using CAD software and then there's the manufacturing of it plus getting it UL listed.

Does anyone have any experience here with this? Anybody here want to provide any insight? There is a huuuuge market for this especially how there are 40-50 week lead times due to more demand and less supply.
Design your initial switchboard using CAD software. Next, manufacture the prototype and ensure it meets UL standards for safety and performance. Obtain UL certification for your product. It's also crucial to understand the market, build relationships with electricians and engineers, and address the current high demand and long lead times. Experience in electrical engineering and manufacturing can be invaluable. Does anyone here have insights or experience in starting a company like this? The market opportunity seems substantial given the current supply constraints.

Todd0x1

First step is talk to UL sales to find out the process to achieve UL891 (this is the standard for custom switchboards that lets you build pretty much whatever). They're going to tell you to buy the standard first ($900).

Would you do your sheetmetal in house, or outsource that? Same question for paint. You need to figure out busbars, insulators, bracing, and seismic.

My off the top of my head figures are: I wouldn't attempt this without 2 million dollars if I was fabless, 5 million dollars if I was going to do everything in house. Probably take a year to get it going.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
If your going to start a mfg company do multi tenant meterpacks we just waited almost 24 months for one.